We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Miami Airport

Charleston, South...
8 posts
Save Topic
Layover in Miami Airport

Good day all,

In December, I am flying from Charleston, SC to San Jose Costa Rica, stopping in Miami. Expected arrival in Miami airport is 7:43AM. Our flight leaves Miami at 8:46AM, according to my AA itinerary. With little over an hour to switch flights, a friend has suggested that we cannot make it between flights in time to board. I do not yet know any gate number or terminal. Is 45 minutes enough time to make it through Miami airport going from one flight to another?

Best Seller
Speedboat Sightseeing Tour of Miami
166 Reviews
from US$ 38.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from US$ 49.99*
US$ 75.00
Miami to Key West Day Trip with...
30 Reviews
from US$ 39.00*
7 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Miami Airport

It will be tight but doable. Use the Skytrain to save some walking between Gates.

NC
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Miami Airport

Way too tight for us. I won't even book a layover through Atlanta with less than 1 1/2 hrs. Just pray your flight from Charleston is on time. Does AA still begin boarding 40 min prior to the flight time? They did the last time we flew with them, which means they will just about begin boarding before you even get off your other plane. I would be stressing....... :(

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Miami Airport

Any other smaller airport, maybe ... but Miami, I'd be a basket case with that short of a transfer time,

Edited: 07 August 2018, 02:02
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Miami Airport

If your flight is on time, you should be fine. Use the sky train if your gates are far apart. Try to sit towards the front of the plane so you can get off quickly. I have connected through Miami dozens and dozens of times.

The big risk is your flight running late, but early morning flights usually have good on time stats.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Miami Airport

Who's making this connection ? Adults ? Family ? Family with small kids ? Will you be gate checking bags ? You will arrive at a D60 gate, deplaning via a small jetbridge and then walking through an open air breezeway to the Terminal. Waiting for gate checked bags, stroller, or other items may slow you down enough to miss your flight. If you missconnect you'll be rebooked on the next flight with open seats...

Warren, New Jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Miami Airport

1 hour should be plenty of time. If the entire flight is with 1 airline ( AA) they may wait for you to board the second leg. I don't think that they can send your bags on a flight unless you are on that flight.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Miami Airport

AA will NOT hold the departure for you, they will make every effort to close the aircraft door ten(10) minutes prior to your scheduled departure.

Reply to: Layover in Miami Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted