We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre cruise stay advice please

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Pre cruise stay advice please

Hi. We’re flying into Miami airport 24th January 2019. We are currently booked into the Hilton airport hotel at Miami for 1 night before we get a transfer down to Fort Lauderdale the following day for our cruise (first time cruisers!). My question is - should I change my hotel either to somewhere in Miami centre or one in Fort Lauderdale maybe? We don’t land until 7pm and I guess we might be tired. But it feels a waste to not go out that evening/the following morning to see a bit of miami or Fort Lauderdale?? I want to see more than just the airport if possible! We have a transfer booked to take us from the airport to the port but I think I can change that to pick me up from any hotel. Budget for hotel not really an issue. Would be great to know what other people have done before. Thanks in advance.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
405 Reviews
from US$ 49.99*
US$ 75.00
Best Seller
Speedboat Sightseeing Tour of Miami
202 Reviews
from US$ 38.00*
3 replies to this topic
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: Pre cruise stay advice please

Suggest staying in a Fort Lauderdale beach hotel for your one night prior to your cruise. Miami can be a grueling one hour (or longer if there is traffic) drive to Fort Lauderdale. You really won't have time to enjoy Miami (especially since you will be at an airport hotel) if you have to leave the next morning (morning traffic) to go to the port in Fort Lauderdale.

Another advantage to staying at a Fort Lauderdale beach hotel is that you will be very close to the port. Your hotel may also have a special shuttle to the port. Plus there is also a beautiful Hilton Hotel on Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
19,173 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Pre cruise stay advice please

The Hyatt Place near the convention center is another good choice for Port Everglades cruisers. There is much information on it on Cruise Critic’s Florida departures forum.

I agree that a beach location would be nice, but it will be dark when you arrive and then you depart the next morning.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 05:23
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: Pre cruise stay advice please

Hi, I recommend the Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort, there is also one at Fort Lauderdale Marina, both are lovely, I have stayed at both for around a week each. The Marina is about 2 miles away from the port, the beachfront is about 6 miles away. You can't go wrong with either! I also recommend a place called Lulus if you stay at the beachfront, nice bar / restaurant we discovered last month!

Reply to: Pre cruise stay advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted