We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

Athens, Ga
2 posts
Save Topic
Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

We are travelign to Marco Island and staying in the Marco Island Marriott beach resort from June 23rd - June 30th. I was wondering if anyone knew of any activities going on at that time? I have 2 children 8 and 4 and I also will be 25 weeks pregnant. Are there any special deals for pregnant women? ALso, we are going to try to spend as little money as possible. Which I have heard is going to be difficult staying at the Marriott. We are prepared to pay for parking beach chairs and maybe a night or two for some expensive dinner. Other than that, are there any deals or short cuts to know about? We are silver level reward members. Will that help us with any specials? Thanks for helping! This will be our families "babymoon" before our lasy child will be added to the family! oh .. and also.. Where should I take the kids? I was hoping to see the everglade national forest, is that worth a day trip? and i know I definitely want to find some seriuosly COOL shells too! any tips would be greatly appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
930 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

I think the kids would enjoy a shelling trip, book at the Marriott, about 2.5 hours stopping at a sand spit to collect amazing shells, they won't let you come back without some splendid ones. Everglade City is an easy drive. I think they would enjoy an airboat ride. the kids' club is active, and there are usually activities like T shirt painting etc. You might enjoy a trip to Tigertail beach where there is a small playground. At a guess I'd say the kids pool at the Marriott will keep them happy for hours. There is a small fridge in each room in addition to the minibar, so you might think about stocking up on cereals, milk etc and having breakfast in your room.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 00:21
Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

There is some things for kids which are noted in this thread on this forum:

tripadvisor.com/…33700780

Athens, Ga
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

Thank you so much! we are excited and cant wait to leave.. we ussually always go to Destin, FL for a beach trip so this will be very different for us.. I just hope we can survive the 10 hour drive.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

Since you have a car, go to The Dollar Tree and load up on inexpensive beach and pool toys. Also, get some water there or at the grocery store to save money. The Dollar Tree is located in the Shops of San Marco at corner of San Marco and S. Barfield. You can find relatively inexpensive restaurants on Marco. Check out the Marco Review magazine online before you go and grab one when you arrive.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

No tips, but I will be there at the same time! :) Also at Marriot.

Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

Jackiepaddy recommended looking at the Marco Review. If you email them they will mail you the latest edition PDQ. I got their mail in about 2 days after I requested it. Great resource.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

Have gone for many years and always stay at the Marriott. You will have a fridge and coffee/tea maker. Go to Winn Dixie (on North Collier about a mile north of the Marriott). Get their "frequent buyer" card. It's free. We always bought breakfast (cereal, milk, bagels, etc.) and lunch (bread, lunch meat, chips, etc.) Make your own breakfast and lunch in the room and then go out for an amazing dinner. Has worked for us for many years. Also, you can call housekeeping and request to have your room made up at a certain time everyday. If your little one needs a nap or the older ones get tired of the sun, you're not at the mercy of housekeeping. Call them. It's another amazing thing about this resort. Bon Voyage!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

RE Places to take the Kids:

Naples Zoo – Animal exhibits, primate island expedition cruise, alligator bay hand feeding, historic tropical garden and safari canyon shows - http://napleszoo.com/

Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve (off 951 which is the road entering Marco Island from Naples/41) – Daily programs presented by naturalists provide information about mangroves, native plants, shells, manatees, snakes, orchids, waterbirds, sharks and more - http://www.rookerybay.org/ Also guided Kayaking tours and sunset starlight cruises.

Mackle Park Marco Island (free) has a kids cove playground, walking trail around a lake, game room and a water spray play area with multiple fountains

Sun-N-Fun Lagoon Waterpark – Naples – 5 waterslides, water tower, lazy river – http://www.napleswaterpark.com/

Naples Pier (free) for viewing birds, dolphin, people fishing - great for watching sunsets

Naples Botanical Garden - http://www.naplesgarden.org/ - includes a Childrens Garden with tree houses, splash and play area with water jets for cooling off, butterfly house naplesgarden.org/show/…wiki

Everglades National Park Gulf Coast Visitor Center (free) is located in Everglades City at 815 Oyster Bar Lane and is open from 9am till 4:30 pm (hours for April - Nov) Phone 239-695-3311

While you are in Everglades City visit Ted Smallwood's Store - once an indian trading post, now a museum 239-695-2989

RE coupons and discounts check the online version of Marco Review at

view.digipage.net/…

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

Definitely stop and get bottled water for your fridge.

At the Marriott you can buy a plastic mug at Pazzis (the pizza place, food is great!) and for $13.50 you can refill it all day every day for your whole stay. They will also fill it at Quinn's for you. It was well worth it for our family, we shared 1 mug and usually filled with lemonade on our way out to the beach, at lunch, and then to the room for later.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation in Marco Island for the first time

We did Shark Valley in the "real" everglades. It's a 15 mile or so roundtrip tram ride. You'll see alligators, mostly in culverts and ditches. It's fine for adults, but I don't think kids would be all that excited.

If you want some great shells, dig around a little in the shallows of Tigertail beach. We found all sorts of fighting conchs--all alive with beautiful shells. We let them go, of course. Also found a fantastic live whelk. So your kids might be able to find some great living creatures in shells if they try.

You should do a google search for Florida shells, so the kids will be able to identify what they find.