We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Collwood Condos

Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Collwood Condos

Does anyone have any experience with Collwood Condos on Madeira Beach (I think about 4 blocks from John's Pass). We just booked one for the 1st week in June through vrbo and though it looks very nice I would love to hear from someone who has stayed there fairly recently. I saw just one brief post from back in 3/06. Thanks!

Michigan
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Collwood Condos

We just stayed there February 3 - 10, 2007 and we loved it. It's clean and family friendly. Nice pool, but not overcrowded. Very nice beach area, again not crowded. My husband walked to John's Pass everyday - it's close. Everything about the place was clean. 2 BBQ grills by the pool area. Shuffleboard. Boxes full of beach toys. And nice part is that you have to have a key to get in to lobby area to elevator. People off the street can't just walk in. Guests have to be buzzed in by you. And great beach location! Great views of water and dolphins jumping! Great sunrise and sunsets! Let me know if you have any questions.

Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Collwood Condos

CamMichigan, Thanks so much for the info - it sounds like you had a terrific time and I'm so happy to hear Collwood is a nice place to stay! We will be there the first week in June; can't wait!! Do you have any good tips on nearby restaurants or things to do in John's Pass? Did you take the trolley or rely on rental car? How many minutes walk would you say John's Pass is? If you have any pics it would be great if you shared them! Thanks again for the post :)

Canton, Ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Collwood Condos

We stay in that area every year. Collwood is a nice, clean condominium. The beachfront is beautiful. The other side of the condos overlook the street and that's kind of cool too. We dropped by to see the prop mgr but no one was there to talk to. There is a lot to do.....you won't have enough days to do everything.

Shells Seafood Restaurant is really good..on the bay. The Pub is cool has outside dining on the bay and lots of boats dock there. The Pub is in Indian Rocks. If you like cuban, I heard that there is a good place called Bella Habana on Gulf Blvd in St Pete beach.

There's load of places to eat. Lots of attractions to go to.

We ate at the Holiday Inn (or was it Hilton) in St Pete. The restaurant is top level and revolves very slowly so you can check out the beach and when you are served dessert, you will be looking at the other side (the street). Really cool.

If you like flea markets...there is one called Wagon Wheel and another next to it. Open Sat and Sun only I think. 8 to ? it's in Pinellas Park.

If you want any ideas, just email me. I'll try to help if I can. I used to live in St Pete. We're not staying on the beach because we're bringing our 6 month old puppy with us this year and are staying on the bay.

We go May 16th to the 30th.

PS The Friendly Fisherman Tavern is good too. It faces the street.

Check out Johns Pass and the pelicans.

You'll really like the Collwood. It was a little pricey for us cause we were going for 2 weeks. But, it is a nice, small. clean condo. You'll enjoy! have fun!

Paula and David in Ohio

Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Collwood Condos

Paula319, Thanks so much for all of the info. We booked this vacation months ago and now the countdown is on and we can't wait! I've sent away for and received lots of brochures and literature so we are trying to get a game plan for the week and prioritize since you are right, it will go too fast and we won't be able to do everything we want. We're looking forward to some lovely dinners out -- we've been dieting pretty hard since Easter to get into our bathing suits! Enjoy your trip :) And it would be great if you could post about your trip in the forums when you return!

Adria
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Collwood Condos

We stayed there a couple of years aga and won't go back. There was a couple there in charge and seemed to be quite noisey. One day they yelled down at us when we were looking around and ask if we were staying there. In other words move if you aren't. Well we were staying and did not like it how rude. Also everyone morning everyone got notes under the door for too much sand in the halls when there was none. Try Norte or the new Madeira Bay resort much nicer and no crude comments made.

Michigan people

Canton, Ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Collwood Condos

Hi there....when you do go in June..don't miss Johns Pass . The pelicans will sit on the railing and some are pretty tame. Bring your camera! Also, if you buy an ice cream cone on the Johns Pass Boardwalk...guard it....the seagulls are known to swoop down and grab them! They know a good thing when they see it! There is a restaurant/bar called Scullys. The inside bar at Scullys is where a scene was shot for Summer Rental starring John Candy. Kind of cool to see. Johns Pass has a lot of cute little shops. Bring your camera.

We'll take lots of pics and maybe post if I can figure it out. We'll be back on the 30th of May.

Paula

Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Collwood Condos

Thanks again for the recent info! My to-do list is rapidly filling up!! Hopefully the "rude comments" the previous poster mentioned were the exception, not the rule :) Regardless, I'm hoping that we're so busy that we won't be at the condo much anyway! Thanks for the tip about Scully's...John Candy is one of my husbands all time favorites; sounds like fun! Have a terrific trip - I envy your two full weeks!!

Canton, Ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Collwood Condos

I think you will always find someone with maybe a not so great experience but I know people come back to Collwoo year after year so maybe it was one bad experience.

Hope you have a wonderful time. We are staying on the bay this time....about 6 mi away from the beach but we are able to take our little shih-poo so it's worth it.

Have a wonderful time....let us know how you liked it.....

Paula and David

Ill
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Collwood Condos

Our family just returned to Ill on 5/26/07. Our condo was very nice. The

property manager was very informative. The weather was beautiful

and the beach was great. As another poster indicated, the Friendly

Fisherman was a good place to eat. Going back in the opposite

direction on the east side at about 137th(?) St is a great ice cream

shop. The parking lot is small, so just walk. Another place to eat is

Leatherback's, a little pricey, but good.

Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Collwood Condos

Returned from our week at the Collwood (6/2-6/9) and had a great stay! Our unit #406 was very clean, modern and well maintained, the views from the balcony were fabulous - could see unobstructed both north and south. Pool was small but well kept. Beach was raked every morning at 8am. and was uncrowded and soft as sugar. Rented directly through owner, Carol, and though we never met her she was very accomodating by e-mail. Frank, the mgr, is great and fun to talk to. Gave us some great ideas of places to go, things to do and good directions. We would recommend this condo with no hesitation.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira Beach