We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

Hi again: Location looks good and can get efficiency for $125/night. Any thoughts on this? Still looking for something on El Mar and reviews here sound OK for the most part.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

I think that may be a good choice for you. It is close enough to the grocery store for you to walk to. I took a quick look at their website and I can tell you that from what I have seen from the outside it looks to be accurate. The only down side is that it is close to some construction that is going on. New condos. I don't think it would have any impact on you other than possibly one lane closed on El Mar and you might have to cross the road to have a safe walk.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

Thanks - I did book for week managing to get last efficiency available and satisfied it is likely best choice within my price range ie up to $125 a night as well as being on El Mar. Will post my experience here after stay there.

I sent inquiries to most via email or phone along El Mar that looked like they might fit within budget and got good reviews here. One phoned and although their $200 a night was outside budget did say that Coral Key would be OK with assurances that it was clean, etc. Of all I heard from the only one that negotiated a lower rate (by $20 less a night) for week was Coral Key and given the 25% I need to add on for exchange rate of Canadian dollar and encouraging reviews here this was tipping point in choice. The Blue Seas Courtyard had space and stayed with $140/night rate and given rave reviews here will certainly have a look at it while there. This doesn't seem to be an area with discounted weekly rates and guessing that works best for them as they must be able to fill most nights.

Looking forward to my visit there in a couple of weeks, particularly beach and town, but since first visit to Florida will try and have a look at area.

Any suggestions of places to eat - may make lunch main meal of day - near Coral Key welcomed. Clean, affordable and healthy food only criteria.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

If you walk north on ElMar to the end and turn right to A1A you will see a shopping center just to the north. There is a grocery store and several restaurants. I have been to Carina's there (good soups and salads) and to the take out Chinese I am not positive on the name. Maybe Jasmine Garden. There is also a diner and either a Subway or Blimpee and a Dunkin Donuts. Not all are healthy but I am giving you your options.There is also a CVS drugstore and a bank. There is also a store that does shipping that has internet that you can use for a fee.

If you walk south on ElMar to Commercial there are several restaurants in that area. One of my favorites is Pa degennero's. They also have a gourmet deli take out with sandwiches and wood fired pizzas.

You should also try Aruba's on Commercial and the ocean. Friday nights they do a free pig roast at their happy hour for those sitting at the bar. It is fun but not at all healthy!

You may want to look at restaurant.com and order some coupons to use. Use the zipcode 33308 Just pay attention to what the min. amts are and what days are excluded. Some are not valid on the weekends and others require a min. of two entrees.

There is often a coupon code that saves you another 80% or so. the code that I had CELEBRATE expired yesterday. If I get a new one, I will repost.

Enjoy your trip!

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

Sorry, I just re read my post and gave you a bad direction. The shopping center is North on ElMar and make a left to A1A. Shopping center just to the right. I'm sure you would have figured that out because a right turn on ElMar would have put you in the ocean.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

I appreciate all the detailed advice you have provided and looking forward to exploring these. Joan at Coral Key provided me with info regarding shuttle to and from airport.

Other piece of information I am looking for if you are able to help - day tours or trips to Florida sites from LBTS as if weather proves iffy for beach will do that. Have never been so all new to me - more interested in the natural scenery rather than shopping or Disney and interested in tour that would include Miami. I gather from my other posts that Keys are a little far so will leave that to another trip. I won't have car and fine with using public transit to get around.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

I'm glad Pat loves Carina's at the Sea Ranch Lakes Center because I do too- they have the best soups! Further south at a1A and Commercial Blvd you can find so many places within a few blocks - Aruba , Village Grill, Athena ( Greek) are a few - and go a bit further west on the same street and look for a little storefront Italian place called Tedesco's - which has great pastas and salads. You might want to consider a takeout if you have a fridge and microwave, as their portions are generous- we did a takeout of two chicken parmesan dinners ( salad included) and fed four ladies and three elementary school children with them with leftovers to spare- lots of good pasta choices too. If you go north of there , I think on that same street ( may be Bouganvilla, I always forget) you will see a little storefront takeout place with just a few tables ( just past the jewelry store and newsstand called Delicaseas ( I think I am spelling it correctly). they also have great soups , sandwiches and salads and a hot special or two ( great chicken pot pie-)They do lots of catering and I think are only open mid morning to mid afternoon, but their stuff is good and very fresh.

I am pretty sure Pat does have the name of the Chinese place in Sea Ranch Lakes next to Carina's correct and it is good and they will work with dietary concerns- steaming items instead of stir frying on request, for instance.

I will have to say that Damon's across the street has been disappointing to me- poorly prepared food that all tastes to me like it is reheated from Costco- I'd skip it..

The Publix supermarket has a few nice dishes in their deli department and will steam shrimp or crab legs for you as well at their fish counter.

By the way , there is a little local bus that goes up A1A and I believe is free called the Pelican Hopper. I have seen it parked outside that Publix and it does come south almost to Oakland Park Blvd in Ft.Lauderdale which would be walkable to the northernmost Water Taxi stop at Shooters. I am just not sure how late the last one runs, but I'll bet your motel has a map and timetable.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

I think I spelled it wrong , but here's their website:

http://www.delacaseas.com/index.html

Love that chicken salad!

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

You could take a water taxi from the Fort Lauderdale Grande to South Beach.

www.watertaxi.com/FLLValueVoyages.Asp.htm

I think it only runs there on Friday thru Monday.

It is possible to get there by public bus. Route 11 and then transfer to Route 40. Leave yourself extra time because I don't know how closely they follow the schedule. I believe the all day bus pass is $3

Here is a map of the bus routes. You will need to enlarge it.

naturescape-broward.com/bct/pdfs/sm_sys.pdf

Even if you don't use the water taxi to go to South Beach you may enjoy their regular route. The closest stop to lauderdale by the sea is just sw of Oakland Park Blvd. The last time I used it it was $13 for an all day pass and you can get off and on as many times as you choose.

You might also enjoy Bonnet House. They are a little sw of Sunrise Blvd. and A1A.

Sunny.org is the local tourist website with many other great suggestions. lbts.com has some good info too and everytime I email them a question I get a quick response.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

Thanks to both of you - will print this post and bring with me. I certainly won't go hungry!! The water taxi sounds interesting and will print Pelican shuttle schedule and route map.

Tomorrow I will look for a guidebook of South Florida,likely Frommers, as think it could be helpful for getting the bigger picture and useful for a return trip sometime as I realize will only scratch the surface of seeing area in week and if weather good happy to take advantage of staying close to sandy beach and relaxing with good book to sound of waves.

10. Re: Coral Key Inn as a place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 20:46
Get answers to your questions about Lauderdale by the Sea