We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming in by train - need advice!

amsterdam NY
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Coming in by train - need advice!

We're a family of four who are contemplating taking the train, as opposed to driving endless hours from the Northeast. We would be arriving a day before we're scheduled to check in at WDW, so we'd need to book a room for the night.

Logistically, I have no idea the best way to get from the train station to the layover hotel, and from there to WDW the next day. I'm sure we can take a taxi, but not sure if there's a better, or more streamlined way that I'm missing.

Have any of you taken the train to Disney? Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

Helicopter Night Tour Over Orlando's...
4 Reviews
from US$ 95.49*
Special Offer
Florida Airboat Adventure
66 Reviews
from US$ 25.69*
US$ 29.99
Orlando Helicopter Tour from Walt...
40 Reviews
from US$ 48.29*
Special Offer
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament...
9 Reviews
from US$ 55.49*
US$ 71.67
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming in by train - need advice!

For proximity to Disney, I suggest arriving at Kissimmee Amtrak (rather than Orlando). It's a better location and closer. You could take a cab from the station directly to a WDW hotel - maybe a 30 minute cab ride. Or if you prefer it - pre-book a car service to meet you. (They will need to be willing to watch train progress and be flexible with timings; Amtrak is quite capable of being delayed!)

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming in by train - need advice!

As usual, Scan 60 is correct. The Kissimmee station is closer and is in a better neighborhood. There are usually some taxis standing by when the train arrives, but you would be well advised to call ahead. The Orlando station is about twenty minutes from the Kissimmee station so you could call the taxi dispatcher on your cell phone when you left the Orlando station.

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming in by train - need advice!

Means Transporation now has an App very similar to Uber. Would be perfect for you. I would come into the Winter Park Station. Beautiful town and about a 45 minute ride to WDW. If you have a day to kill before your WDW hotel check in, book a room at the Alfond Inn in Winter Park, take the scenc boat tour of the winter park chain of lakes , tour Rollins College or paddle board on a nearby lake. Hotel can arrange. Fabulous dining and shopping in Winter Park. All options within walking distance of the Alfond.

4. Re: Coming in by train - need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2016, 10:48
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question