We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing a meal at restaurants?

Kingston upon Hull...
Level Contributor
238 posts
33 reviews
Sharing a meal at restaurants?

hi

Just booked our two week holiday for next June :) staying at Comfort Suites Maingate. Just looking at nearby places to eat etc. is it ok to share a main meal as when I went about 15,years ago I remember the portions been huge as as I have got older my appetite has got a lot smaller. I am not been greedy but I know I be very wasteful and leave so much. Thanks Angie

Special Offer
Florida Airboat Adventure
145 Reviews
from US$ 25.69*
US$ 30.05
Orlando Helicopter Tour from Walt...
52 Reviews
from US$ 48.29*
Special Offer
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament...
12 Reviews
from US$ 55.49*
US$ 72.67
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
19,093 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

Yes, you can do that. Also consider senior citizens' or 55+ meals as the portions are smaller and the prices are too.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

Angie - It will always be ok but restaurants will have different policies. Some will simply bring you an extra plate and cutlery while others will have a "sharing" charge. Just ask before ordering. If not satisfied another option would be to order appetizers (where many restaurants feature their best recipes).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,747 posts
3. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

It's possible, but not particularly common, to run into a sharing charge particularly in that area which is mainly typical chain restaurants where you can order whatever you like. They can't make everyone eat the most expensive main entrees! So, feel free to share or just order appetizers/starters, or a salad, or a sandwich. I think you will find many restaurants also have lighter fare selections or smaller portions for some dishes, for example, might offer a pasta entree at regular or 1/2 or lunch size portion. A "senior" menu if you are of that age. And many places with dinner deals too where two of you can order what you like from those selections with a more favorable price. It's also completely ordinary in the US to get a "box" and take your leftovers away with you. At that hotel you should have a microwave and refrigerator I think right? You've got yourself lunch or a late night snack for the following day.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,386 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

We often shared a main course as they were so big!

Kingston upon Hull...
Level Contributor
238 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

I am not 50 yet - thank goodness but have a small appetite ! I fancy going to the seafood place - red Lobster, near our hotel but looking at the pictures of the amazing platters (which are only 26 dollars) they look massive and I would feel over faced. I am a small size 6 but want to experience lovely food. It's my birthday while we are there so want to enjoy some lovely meals. When I went to the Brown Derby years ago I left most of it because I stupidly ordered a starter! Thanks for all your advice x

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
319 reviews
6. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

We Regularly share meals at Red Lobster and they are always happy to bring us an extra plate and silverware.

If we don't order an appetizer too, we often tip a little extra to compensate the wait staff for us splitting the entree.

We split meals at Longhorn steakhouse and Olive Garden also with no issues.

Bon Appetite!!

Kingston upon Hull...
Level Contributor
238 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

THank you everyone. I am so pleased we can share especially at Red Lobster :) I of course will tip accordingly :)

Brighton
Level Contributor
64 posts
291 reviews
8. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

Thank you for raising this question, interesting as we are also going back next year and my in-laws also have smaller appetites, will let them know this is possible and to keep an eye out.

Have a great time when you go

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,357 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

Its very common to share meals. We often order 2 appetizers,one entree and one dessert. Some places do have a small charge to share a meal.We tip as if we had ordered two meals. The portions in many U.S. cities are huge;we live in NYC and could never finish most restaurant meals if we ordered two entrees.Its not greedy not to waste food and you can take leftovers away with you.You can also just order two appetizers for your meal or soup and salad or whatever you want...only at buffets are you unable to share a meal.

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
50 reviews
10. Re: Sharing a meal at restaurants?

yes you can share at most places just ask for a spare plate

Get answers to your questions about Kissimmee