We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahia Honda in November - first time in the Keys

Austin, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Bahia Honda in November - first time in the Keys

Gonna be tent camping at Bahia Honda State Park in mid-November! Very excited since I've never been to the Keys before.

Please share any advice or tips for a first-timer.

My must-do list so far includes:

Dry Tortugas

Snorkeling / Diving as much as possible

Birdwatching

Turtle Hospital

Some of my more granular questions are:

Which Keys and/or charters are the best for snorkeling and shallow diving (30 ft max)?

Best grocery store near Bahia Honda?

Any advice on saving money while there? Obviously, I want to spend my tourist dollars for a great experience but I do want to stay within my budget.

Thanks very much!

2 replies to this topic
FenwicK Island, DE
Level Contributor
148 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahia Honda in November - first time in the Keys

You can take a boat from Bahia Honda out to snorkel. Another good one is to drive down to Ramrod Key, MM 27, and take the boat out from the Looe Key Dive shop to the reef. The Winn Dixie on Big Pine Key is the nearest grocery store (make a right at the light on Big Pine, go to the left at the fork and the shopping center will be just down the road on your right). The Keys are expensive, not a whole lot of ways to save money. Check out happy hours while you are there.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,802 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahia Honda in November - first time in the Keys

You have your reservation already, right?

Looe Key is an excellent suggestion, and snorkeling off the beach at the Dry Tortugas is wonderful, but count on a full day. (you booked your tickets, right?)

If you like camping, you may want to think about camping on the Dry Tortugas in the future.

Reply to: Bahia Honda in November - first time in the Keys
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lower Keys