We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

Eau Claire
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

My husband and I are making our first trip (non-family or work related in 7yrs!!!) to the Keys and even though he would rather show up and see what happens when we get there I'm definitely a planner and need to investigate lodging.

Our last minute trip is in 3 weeks and even though it falls under the "summer rates" category, every place I've found with availability has pricing that is at least $20-$30 more a night then their advertised summer rates. Does anyone have any pointers on scoring "discount" rates? Anyone recommend gambling with Priceline negotiator on pricing (I'm a little hesitant because you get whatever hotel they give you).

We're only looking for two nights (the first Sun & Mon in May since we figured it would be cheaper than Fri & Sat so we'll spend those days camping halfway back to Miami....thinking Fiesta Key KOA? any recommendations for beach-side camping?).

Any advice is much appreciated! :) Thanks!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

I know the Inn at Key West offers a 15% discount if you book through their FB page.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

the lowest rates of the summer won't be found in May. Consider chain places where you can use member deals, points or Priceline gambling.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

Your trip is the same time as the Song writer Festival, KW will not be packed but crowded that week. Your timimg during the week will help. Take some time look at a feww B&B's have lower rates then Hotels.

PJ

4. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 April 2012, 19:56
Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

Actually, The Songwriter's Festival is Wednesday, May 2 - Saturday, May 6, and it sounds like the OP is looking for a room May 6 & 7. If they arrive the last day, some people may be checking out that day. They may be able to find something reasonably priced, but availability may be the issue. Most places consider May to be "shoulder season" not summer. So the rates may be slightly higher than summer but considerably less than right now, which is still considered to be peak season.

Take a look at Angelina Guesthouse; they are well located in old town and have good rates. A lot of places have a minimum night stay, but we were able to book one night at Angelina for May 2 just last week ($139). They have less expensive rooms, but that was what they had available and I was happy to get it. We'll be in town May 2 - 6, but had previously only booked 3 nights at Popular House (and they are now fully booked) and decided to go down a day early.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

I tried to correct my post with the right dates and ended up with a double post. And meant to say SUNDAY, May 6. Sorry!

Edited: 15 April 2012, 19:11
Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

Run throught the Craigslist "vacation rentals" for the Keys. We just got an unadvertised weekday rate at a B&B, which is in the top 20 on TripAdvisor. Additonally, you can do a ton of searching vacation rentals right on TripAdvisor. I kept coming across a bunch of availability in some condo development . Not a great location, but it's still on Key West. I dont remember the name, but it looked like standard run of the mill place.

Alternatively, you can search TripAdvisor for available bed & breakfasts on Key West. There are many people who won't stay anywhere except a B&B.

We had just decided last week to find a place to stay for May 10th. So we were scrambling for an affordable and available place to stay.

Eau Claire
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

Thanks everyone! I think we may have found two or 3 nights available at Olivia. It sounds like what we need...just a place to crash at night :) I have no idea how we did not know it was the songwriters festival until mentioned above?? Here my husbands sister is a singer/songwriter in Nashville and she's friends with some of the artists so we're looking forward to hearing them! We actually adjusted our dates to the beginning of the weekend so it should be a good time! Again, thank you everyone for the help!

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

That's in a good location, happy to hear you found something!

10. Re: last minute trip...how can I find reasonably cheap lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:46