We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

My husband and I are heading to Key West in July. We are not experienced snorklers. We thought that if we are going to be in the keys for a week, we may as well buy our own. Where and what gear should we buy? Any advice would be appreciated.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

You can buy inexpensive gear at Kmart. Better quality gear at one of the many snorkel/dive operators throughout the Keys and in KW. Mask and snorkel - you get what you pay for, the better quality the better your experience will be.

If your driving - there's a Divers Direct in Key Largo - dive and snorkel gear outlet.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

Bluewater, Definitely want quality gear. Don't want to be fighting with the mask or anything else while snorkeling. We went through that when we went to Jamacia. Thank you for your reply.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

If you're OK with renting - many of the snorkel and dive companies usually rent quality stuff - at least in the middle Keys and I'm assuming they do in KW also. They are also a good place to purchase.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

Use Divers Direct. Get what fits. Won't be your last trip will it? You can use it, it lasts forever, made of poly carbs....

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

Diver's Direct! Their prices and quality was far superior for items compared to what some of the dive shops in MD sell. Check out their t-shirts and other beach gear while you are shopping.

F&F

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

Looks like we will be stopping at Snorkel Direct. Can't wait!

Thank you everyone for your reply.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

Go to Divers Direct. They have HUGE stores in the Keys and one in Key West, near the Bight.

diversdirect.com/scuba/…

Try to avoid the combo packages if you want quality. You should buy your own mask on the first day. Try it on by holding up to your face and inhaling through your nose. This is the "dry fit test". A good fitting mask will stay on your face, held on by the pressure. Look for one that is comfortable and has the best view out.

Get back to the hotel and scrub the inside of the mask lens with toothpaste to remove any residual gunk from the manufacturing process. If you don't it may fog up quickly.

Get your own snorkel too, as sometimes the boats make you keep your snorkel, should you decide to go with their rental gear.

Fins are a toss up. I have big scuba fins and may leave them at home this year, as they take up too much space in my carry-on luggage.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,560 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

FWIW I go down twice a year and usually go on four snorkeling trips and every trip I think it's time to buy my own equipment, but up to this point I haven't. It's more things to pack and carry down and back, and most of the companies have adequate equipment and some have excellent equipment. Floridays has all new equipement including the more panoramic masks.

Unless you are planning on snorkeling off the shore, I'd wait to buy your own stuff. But YMMV.

Pjk

9. Re: Would like to buy snorkel gear in the keys?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:47