We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has this happened to you?

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
579 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Has this happened to you?

Had an experience at Schooner Wharf that I wanted to share. After enjoying breakfast one morning, it came time to settle up. The server took the cash and in one quick statemnet said, " All set? Thank you!" and walked away. It happened so quickly, we weren't sure it really did happen and wondered if she was coming back. It was onyl a couple dollar difference so we shook it off. Then it happened again the next night after desert and drinks. Server take the bill and cash, "All set? Thanks" and proceeds to walk briskly away with our change. Since it was much more than $2 this time, I called him back over and let him know, I did need change - he seemed surprised. One time can be a mistake, but twice at the same place looks like a trend. Since it was almost the same exact wording, just wondering if the servers are discussing ways to take advantage. We've not had this happen to us before and wondered if anyone has experienced the same?

We love SW and will be back, but we'll be keeping a much better eye open. Did post as a review under SW.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Has this happened to you?

Never happens to us....we never tip

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,262 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Has this happened to you?

We never had it happen at SWB but have had it happen at the bar of the Guy Harvey restaurant.(no longer in business) The bartender was very rude when I called him out on it too. We had to sit & wait for about 15 minutes for him to get around to bringing our change. When we asked for a manager one did not seem to be available. Most servers are pretty good about asking "do you need change" but there are a few out there trying to scam a few dollars.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Has this happened to you?

"Our consensus was that the proper etiquette is for the waiter to say "I'll be right back with your change" and then guest can say "It's all set" or "Great, thanks"."

YES. As a server, I always maintained "I'll be right back with your change" should be drilled into you at training (along with "never go into the walk in if you hear strange sounds", but that's another subject altogether). Saves everyone confusion and hurt feelings. Can totally make or break a tip.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 20:21
24. Re: Has this happened to you?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:11