We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

South Hadley...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

Hope to get some insight from those who fly into Miami and do the drive to key west.This is my 3rd trip to KW but have always flown into FLL.We are landing in Miami at midnight and getting a rental car.Any thoughts on where to stay near airport or should we drive a little to be closer to keys and get out of the city and if so where to go.Maybe Florida City or Key Largo.The arrival time makes it difficult but they were free frequent flyer tickets so had no choice.

Any help would be apppreciated

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
124 Reviews
from US$ 145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
131 Reviews
from US$ 63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
397 Reviews
from US$ 49.99*
US$ 75.00
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
300 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

Good luck getting out of Miami Airport. Our last expeirence was a nightmare unless they have completed the massive construction project. Maybe with you arriving late at night it may be better but as you know the drive down the Keys is half the fun so I would recommend a daylight drive.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

exactly. i'd head to florida city and have a great drive down in the morning.

chicago
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

we stayed at Homewood suites. nice place

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

I think it was last year that we flew out of Boston on the late flight, spent the night at I think the Miami Hilton and the next morning caught the early flight to Key West. Arriving at midnight and by the time you get any checked luggage, that to me would not be any time to head for Key Largo....but that's just me. Traffic should be easier, that would be the only good point.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

If you don't want to try MIA at night, there is a hotel right at the airport. About $180 per night. You get your luggage, go upstairs and you're there.

If not, get the car, get on the road, and stop in Florida City. If you land in MIA at midnight, you'll be in Florida City by 1:30.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

I'd rather make the drive out of Miami at night since there is less traffic and I'm too excited to sleep anyway. Its great to wake up the next morning and 'be on vacation', ready to start the day with a nice drive exploring the keys!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,252 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

Unless it's a weekend morning, get out of MIA and to FLorida City for the night -avoid the morning traffic.

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

My personal preference would be to grab a room close by and then start your drive into the Keys VERY early. That way you are refreshed, you miss a lot of the traffic, and you get the beautiful daylight view of the Keys on your way down. We have stayed at the Miami Airport Hilton. It is a very nice property and just a very short cab ride from the airport. We also stayed at the Embassy Suites, which was cheaper, but not quite as close to the airport. I am sure you would be able to find something cheaper close by if that is a consideration.

9. Re: Need some fly/drive advice miami to kw

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 21:46