We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't miss list

Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Can't miss list

Hi all,

My husband and I are both 30ish and will be in Key West for four days in mid-March. We're planning on doing an snorkeling/kayaking trip, visiting Mallory square, checking out Duval street, and maybe doing a ghost tour

My question is, what one thing (activity/restaurant/etc.) would you not leave Key West without doing?

Thanks for your tips. I'm already counting down the days!

Mentioned in this post
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
12,279 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't miss list

I'll be going for my first time this May. I absolutely refuse to leave without having a slice of Key Lime Pie.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Key Lime Inn Key West
Key Lime Inn Key West
1,428 Reviews
Key West, FL
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't miss list

It sounds like you have done some research and have not over planned. That's a good thing. I would not leave Key West without going on a sunset sail, preferably on one of the tall ships like the Western Union or Hindu.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
372 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't miss list

Sometimes contriversial, always entertaining, I have to see Dominique the Cat Man at the sunset celebration every visit! He and his kitties perform over on the far side by the Westin. Ooosc-ar, hurry up-take your time, come here-return to you seat, I have new socks!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
464 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't miss list

I agree with Sharla on the catman (hurry up, take you time, clap, clap, clap for me! lol) I always check him out at least a couple of times per trip.

www.catmankeywest.com

I also make it a point to go to Camille's for breakfast

www.camilleskeywest.com

And have a pina colada at the Flying Monkey on Duval or Pier House (better view - but pricey)

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
771 Reviews
Key West, FL
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't miss list

While I agree that the Sunset Celebration should be on the must-do list for first time visitors, I've been coming to Key West for so long, I rarely go to that circus anymore. The catman is the star of the freak show for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Celebration
Sunset Celebration
141 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't miss list

Too many to mentiong but here's a sampling:

Enjoy watching a beautiful sunset. Besides the earlier mentioned normal Mallory Square location, some of our favorites are the top of La Concha Hotel, The Tower Bar at Turtle Kraals, Fort Zachary Taylor Beach area, & on a Sebago Sunset Sail.

Also, a few of our "must stops" each trip - Lunch at B.O.'s Fishwagon, Frank's Magic Bar at Schooner Wharf Bar & hearing Michael McCloud sing there during afternoons too, & enjoying some Pirate Punch at Captain Tony's, & ice cream at Flamingo Crossings.

Mentioned in this post
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
12,279 Reviews
Key West, FL
Turtle Kraals
Turtle Kraals
1,605 Reviews
Key West, FL
Sebago Key West
Sebago Key West
3,655 Reviews
Key West, FL
Sunset Sail Key West
Sunset Sail Key West
541 Reviews
Key West, FL
Schooner Wharf Bar
Schooner Wharf Bar
2,283 Reviews
Key West, FL
MD
Level Contributor
835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't miss list

Go to Louie's Backyard - not for dinner, but for a drink or two on the Afterdeck. It's a beautiful setting on the ocean side of the island.

Agreed on the sunset sail...definitely work this in.

Blue Heaven for breakfast with the roosters.

And get up early one morning, get a huge cup of coffee, and take a long walk from end to end of the Marina/Bight area, and/or back and forth north to south across the island on the back streets. Your blood pressure will drop 100 points.

Mentioned in this post
Louie's Backyard
Louie's Backyard
3,391 Reviews
Key West, FL
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,440 Reviews
Key West, FL
MD
Level Contributor
835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't miss list

Also, there's a fairly nice-sized group from this forum that's probably going to be at Finnegan's Wake for St. Patty's Day if you're there then - stop by!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't miss list

i think i'd take a trolly tour, this ensures you seeing so much of the island you'll realize one visit just isn't enough:)

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't miss list

Simkeith's right: a sunset sail on a schooner. I'd add Danger Charter's Wind and Wine to his list. A trolly tour is a good second thing. You might also consider the Keys Eco-discovery Center as a good third thing.

Your 'Can't choose just one thing' pal,

Davy

(all the best, KWT)

Mentioned in this post
Florida Keys Eco-Discovery Center
Florida Keys...
1,306 Reviews
Key West, FL