We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"I have breakfast at Blue Heaven, and dinner at Salute."

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
"I have breakfast at Blue Heaven, and dinner at Salute."

A VERY savvy "winter visitor" blessed me with this genius idea this evening, and after just putting it into practice, I'm happy to share it.

Tonite, I was at Blue Heaven and it was going to be an 45-minute wait. Which is fine if you're visiting and soaking up the live music and atmospher, mayve playing some ping pong, and maybe having a mojito or three at the Tiki Bar, but I was just to grab a bite to eat!

At the bar was guitarist TJ McCain and his visiting friend. When I told them my predicament, the friend said—and duh—"Why not eat at SALUTE? That's what I do now," he said.

And here's the idea I thought was genius:

He said, "I have breakfast at Blue Heaven, and dinner at Salute."

I was struck dumb. I mean, it was SO obvious! I mean, I had even had breakfast at Blue Heaven this morning!

As most know, I am friends with the owners and I'd say about, oh, 90% of the staff of Blue Heaven (which is like fifty people!), and have been for years. And recently, Richard and Suanne became the owners of Salute On The Beach.

But what most people do NOT know is...Blue Heaven's chefs switch out now at Salute. What more, the Blue Heaven bakery provides all Salute's breads and desserts. And the fish served at Salute is provided by the same (local) fisherman. And etc etc etc. Even the key lime pie is the same world-famous Blue Heaven key lime pie!

So, I left Blue Heaven, went right to Salute, and voila! I was seated and eating delicious yellow-tail and pasta within 15 minutes! I would have still been waiting at Blue Heaven! (Not that I would have totally minded, Tuesday night being such a great night there, and there were musicians and local kids and cool cats all around...BUT IT WAS PACKED AND I WAS STARVING!) It was like a "secret" backdoor to Blue Heaven, Italian-style!

So, if you know what you want at Blue Heaven, and you don't mind the Italian-style spin, and you don't mind beach-side dining (who does?), I can now say with a full stomach and good conscience this is a GREAT way to enjoy to enjoying Blue Heaven-quality dining...without the wait!

BTW, I am stuffed right now. I know that's bad form to say, especially seeing as AT NIGHT it's 70 degrees here, and I just had fresh yellowtail, a side of pasta primevera, and a slice of homemade key lime pie. But REALLY I'm NOT bragging!

;)

It's just that after leaving the country for a few days—I flew to Tennessee, brrr-rrrrr!—I just got back here to Key West...and AIN'T IT GOOD TO BE BACK IN THE KEYS!!

Amen.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$ 49.99*
US$ 75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
153 Reviews
from US$ 63.00*
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
142 Reviews
from US$ 145.00*
Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
11. Re: "I have breakfast at Blue Heaven, and dinner at Salute."

Keysbride, I was in Tennessee to work on a kid's book project.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
12. Re: "I have breakfast at Blue Heaven, and dinner at Salute."

BTW, I was in Knoxville, and I visited the a place which actually made the trip for me: King Tut's Grill.

Here's the review, with photos.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55138-d4903…

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
13. Re: "I have breakfast at Blue Heaven, and dinner at Salute."

Mike - thanks for sharing that review. Looks like a fun place that we will definitely have to try when we're in the Knoxville area again. Any place that makes me feel like I'm in KW again sounds like a winner to me :) I think we're heading to Knox. for a road trip this April so we'll have to plan to try it.

Hope the kids' book project went well.

Hope to see you again in May when Nathan & I are back in KW.

14. Re: "I have breakfast at Blue Heaven, and dinner at Salute."

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 08:49