We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60 seater larger puddle jumper

Maryland
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
60 seater larger puddle jumper

It's been a while since I've been on here, but we're coming back in May for our wedding! We are flying down with our two 8 year olds and want to fly instead of drive into Key West. AA has a great deal right now, but the flight from MIA to EYW is on a 60 seater larger puddle jumper (words from the AA customer svc rep.). I'm concerned about the size and want to know from others that have flown on these type of planes their experiences. I was told that this is not a jet. Delta has jets that fly in and I'm wondering if I should go with Delta. Thanks for any help!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: 60 seater larger puddle jumper

"SIMKEITH

The plane I'm flying on is an AT7, which the AA rep says is not a jet. So what does that mean for me. Does he still slam on the breaks? How many have taken a dip? How do I pack for a wedding and 10 day honeymoon to Anguilla with a carryon on a one bag???"

The ATR-72 can easily stop on a 4800 foot long runway, but they still might have weight restrictions. Ask American Airlines if you will be restricted on baggage.

One option if there is a baggage restriction is send your stuff ahead to Anguilla and just carry what you need to Key West. FedEx and UPS both do it, but it isn't particularly cheap....but neither is checking luggage on AAL these days. $15 for the first piece, $25 for the second, and I believe it is $100 after that.

Maryland
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: 60 seater larger puddle jumper

Thanks again guys for the great advice. I called AA and they said it's now $30 for first bag and $50 for the second bag. I can take as many bags as I want to pay for according to the most helpful (right..) aa rep.

Northwest Indiana
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: 60 seater larger puddle jumper

Joesluckygal,

We've flown the American Eagle AT7 from Miami to Key West amd wouldn't hesitiate to do it again - and we are, this coming April. Also, I wouldn't worry about the kids, it's a larger plane than a "puddle jumper". Have the kids get a window seat. The plane boards from the tarmack, so you'll be taken there on a little shuttle bus and let off outside to wait. Doing this with babies or toddlers would be a little nerve racking, but with eight year-olds it will be easier and kinda neat for them. The plane loads from the rear - so the last seats are first to fill and get off. You can pick your seating arrangements through the AA reservations. This is helpful to know if you have a small window of time for connections.

Have fun and congratulations!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: 60 seater larger puddle jumper

I got married down in Key West also. We shipped all of our honeymoon clothes and lots of wedding stuff down 2 weeks ahead of time, so they could find our stuff if it got lost. Our hotel didn't mind at all. The only thing I would not ship was the dress! We then shipped a bunch of stuff home while we went on our honeymoon.

35. Re: 60 seater larger puddle jumper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 19:50