We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

Hello, all. I love Key West and have been several times, but never over a holiday weekend. I am interested in going over Thanksgiving but if there are shoulder-to-shoulder crowds and unattainable dinner reservations I'll reconsider.

Thanks --

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

Actually, I don't think you will find that at all. KW at Thanksgiving is usually quite nice. Crowds are not bad at all. Last year, it was very chilly, some of the coldest weather we had all winter, but that isn't the norm.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

Thanks, Captain. I understand that ANYWHERE you go you can't control the weather! (I was chilly in KW in February!) But your comments are encouraging.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

I've been down the last two Thanksgivings. Blue Heaven was closed for the holiday but that was no big deal since I could easily go someplace else. The weather was not good the last two times i've been there the week of Thanksgiving and I'll probably not go again at this time of year. Last year was the first trip ever that I could not go snorkeling - none of the trips could get enouth people to meet the minimum. And partly this is because of the number of people traveling on the weekend after Thanksgiving and the potential for delys going up to Florida and then to Newark, NJ.

Pjk

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

Yes, air travel is so frequently dependent not on where YOU are, but where YOUR PLANE is; and if it can get to you to take you where you want to go. Factor in the holiday weekend (isn't Wednesday before Thanksgiving the most heavily-traveled day of the year, for any kind of transportation?) and the odds can really be against you. So, you report that the weather has been cold (and/or bad) for the past two Thanksgivings....okay; that's certainly something to consider. I hope others will contribute their comments, too!

nocalady

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

P.S. on other message -- thanks for the info on Blue Heaven - I wonder if they take that time for vacation? Unfortunately, that is one of the places I want to eat in KW, since I am a North Carolina gal. (Wonder where the chickens roam off to when BH is closed????)

If we decide to go to KW over Thanksgiving, at the very least I'll contact Blue Heaven and see what their plans are.

nocalady

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

I spent Thanksgiving in KW last year. Almost everything is open. A handful of restaurants close for the day but there are plenty serving thanksgiving dinner. I had an absolutely outstanding dinner at Square One, which is one of my favorite places to eat. If Blue Heaven is closed, big deal. There are dozens of great restaurants that are open.

Besides Blue Heaven is so crowded these days, nobody eats there any more. (Apologies to Yogi Barra).

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

The Citizen (keysnews.com) has plenty of ads for restaurants and their special menus. The island is fairly quiet that day, except for those of us that work.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

To the extent that I noticed, Blue Heaven was only closed for Thanksgiving Day and not the entire week. You should be OK.

Pjk

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

Right Pjk, they were open the next morning.

Some businesses do close on major holidays to let employees spend the day with family.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West over Thanksgiving weekend? Too crowded/crazy?

I emailed Blue Heaven and got a nice reply that they are closed only on Thanksgiving Day, which is fine. Many thanks for the info on other places!

And okay, I know BH is sort of hokey and tourist-y, but, -- well, it is what it is. I'll be with a first-time KW visitor, and that restaurant is pretty much on the "must-do" list.