We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December weather?

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
641 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
December weather?

we have only been in April but cannot wait that long. Looking at maybe Dec 15th for a week. Is that a crazy week? Maybe even October or November but not interested in FF or the Powerboats. Not stormy is it? I like those mid to high 80's for temps and being from New England we will be getting out of winter weather around Boston. Thanks in advance.

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
136 Reviews
from US$ 145.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from US$ 49.99*
US$ 75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
146 Reviews
from US$ 63.00*
5 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December weather?

I’ve been in December a few times. Most visits were warm, not hot. Our last visit, we hit a cold front. Never got out of blue jeans and sweat shirts.

We’ve always had good weather in November. Though, it still isn’t really hot.

These days we go in mid-October. Rooms are still price for low season. Restaurants have reopened after their late summer/early fall break. Still hot, we’ve not hit any bad weather.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December weather?

October and November are great months to go, not to hot and not to cold. The only thing that could go wrong is its hurricane season so I would get trip insurance

Kentucky
Level Contributor
672 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December weather?

We really enjoy early October as well. It's still warm enough to get in the ocean and the pool and it's not as hot as the surface of the sun when you are walking through town like September can be. December and January are very windy to me and as Jeanh mentioned, you may not get out of long pants and sweatshirts the entire time. It's warmer than at home, but almost not enough for me to consider another trip in Dec/Jan. Last one was Jan of this year and it was miserably windy so sitting outside (which is all most places have) and that sort of put a damper on the trip. Can't have perfection all the time!! :-)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December weather?

Mid-December is not a crazy week at all and has historically been a slower week with lower room rates. It's the week of Christmas that things get crazy busy/ expensive.

In 2016 I was in Old Town for a short 4 night trip until Dec. 2 and the weather was a little windy (all the south side beaches were blown out, no-snorkel zones) but I got a few good trips out snorkeling with Sunsetwatersports and Danger.

The X-mas lights are up and everything is decorated.

It did rain massively one morning, leaving big puddles all over. But I never felt a need to put on any long pants or socks...

Right not I'm toying with the idea of going again. The Marker has sent me an e-mail about its lower rates. $286 for a basic king room (no view). Things like that always get me back in "search" mode!

Level Contributor
119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December weather?

We are also New Englanders, and we're down for that week in December every year. Usually plenty warm enough to swim with temps getting into high 70's to mid 80's. Sometimes cooler, sometimes hotter. One thing that we especially like is the extra sunlight - about 1.5 extra hours of light per day during the time of year when the nights are longer. And, it really is beautiful with all of the Christmas lights. Also very quiet with smaller crowds.

Edited: 17 August 2018, 17:12
Reply to: December weather?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted