We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

N.C.
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

What's the best things to do when thousands of people off load from several cruise ships? Crowds are NOT our thing. Thanks to all.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$ 49.99*
US$ 75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
154 Reviews
from US$ 63.00*
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
142 Reviews
from US$ 145.00*
29 replies to this topic
Reading...
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

The crowds tend to gather on lower duval.... Head to the bight Historic Seaport check out CRSC, Schooner wharf,Half Shell Raw Bar, all some of my KW faves!!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
4,414 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

I would take a ride up the Keys and do a little exploring. You can come back by 4:00 and the ships will be gone. Stay away from lower Duval and the Southernmost marker, they will both be very crowded.

Jon
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
224 reviews
3. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

Good day to get out on the water. Pick a small excursion and get off the island.

Deerfield Beach...
Level Contributor
854 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

I have been to KW many times with 2-3 ships in town. It did not hinder our day at all. Most of the cruise people tend to be shopping and seeing the big sites. They were never overwhelming to us at all, since they usually stay "on the main drag". Maybe consider doing something off the beaten trail that day or do a smaller water excursion where they take a limited amount of people if you're so concerned. This could be a chance to rent bikes and ride down all the quiet roads and explore places the cruise people never go to. Maybe go to Higgs beach or Ft. Zach. You really should not be highly concerned and let this ruin your trip.

Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

Always stay off Duval when 3 ships are in town and you’ll be fine

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

This is a positive to staying off Duval. When we visited, there were 3 cruise ships every day. We got an early start, explored, got sick of the crowds, went back to our hotel, then to the beach or pool. We were at Sheraton Suites, across from Smathers Beach.

I know this is not for everyone, and for good reason, staying in Old Town is preferred for most, but it definitely got us away from the crowds for a bit.

By the time we headed back over, the ships were either leaving or left.

Note-we had a rental car and also used the hotel shuttle some nights.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,318 reviews
7. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

We have visited KW more than several times when cruise ships are in -- very easy to avoid.

Enjoy

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

Best advice is to get out on the water, especially recommend the ferry to Ft Jeff

Kentucky
Level Contributor
689 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

Key West is always crowded (to us) so usually we only notice the ships because there seem to be a few more strollers in town. Like others have said, we stay off Duval and go about our day. Sometimes we pull up a barstool at Bistro 245 (used to be Westin, now Margaritaville) and have a few mimosas or beers and watch the ship dock and the masses flow into KW. We also visit CRSC or Schooner's Wharf. Or my favorite is to be out on a charter and the only time I see the ships is as we speed away from KW. To me, the ships aren't as noticeable unless you are trying to go to Sloppy's or shop in the area by the cruise ship dock. 100 yards away at Bistro 245 you get a birds eye view of the craziness without being in it.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock

Make believe they aren't there - I don't count or pay attention to them.

Reply to: Key West when 3 cruise ships are at dock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted