We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars in Key West, FL post Irma

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Cars in Key West, FL post Irma

If you're going to rent with Avis at the Key West location, please be sure you have back up plans, or multiple reservations with other businesses. Apparently there's a really poorly managed branch where they're crazily overbooked in comparison to inventory. I've heard it's been a consistent issue over the past several weeks, and even before Irma, so please be aware. While 3 flights arrived, all of the Avis folks about 30 of us that had reservations stood around waiting because there were no cars available. They just took last names, not phone numbers or anything else to try to contact you should a vehicle be available. My flight arrived at 11:30 in the morning, cars were unavailable until about 4:30pm that day...without knowing precisely how long to wait, several people cancelled their reservations and took cabs, or booked with other agencies on site.

There was a shipment of cars that arrived at 4:30pm that day and certainly out of vehicles when I inquired about them onsite again around 8:30pm.

I returned on the following day, and it's the same situation. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed...I hope you enjoy your travels to KW and do not experience this issue!

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
76 Reviews
from US$ 145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
70 Reviews
from US$ 63.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
47 Reviews
from US$ 178.99*
Special Offer
Miami to Key West Day Trip Tour With...
385 Reviews
from US$ 65.00*
US$ 75.00
4 replies to this topic
Oceanside, New York
Level Contributor
384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cars in Key West, FL post Irma

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I have to ask why you rented a car? Where on the island did you stay?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cars in Key West, FL post Irma

Maybe a lot of locals rented cars post Irma? There also appear to be a lot of contractors staying in Key West who may be renting cars and working up the Keys. Not sure how Avis would get a "shipment" of cars at 4:30.

I'm amazed there would be 30 people trying to rent a car from Avis at the same time.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,831 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cars in Key West, FL post Irma

With those bigger jets flying in, maybe there's just too many people showing up for a small rental car lot to handle?

Or maybe we're just not being heard when we recommend that anyone staying in Old Town should avoid getting a rental car??

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Cars in Key West, FL post Irma

I’ve seen this happen with Avis for many years while waiting for arrivals at the airport, it doesn’t seem to be a new issue but may be worse after Irma for sure. We and family have used enterprise many times and have never had this issue, may not be the exact car we booked but we’ve always gotten a car when needed.

Reply to: Rental Cars in Key West, FL post Irma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question