We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sombrero Reef / Key Colony visit

Niwot, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sombrero Reef / Key Colony visit

Hello,

On a pass through the middle keys on our way to Key West, I've read that Sombrero Reef is a great family snorkeling place. A little help please - I believe that I'm reading Sombrero Reef is different than Sombrero Beach. (One clear, one grassy, one north of Marathon, one south) Is this true? It looks like Key Colony Beach is the closest real place to Sombrero Reef.

Also, is it a place where you just rent snorkel gear somewhere and go out on your own or is there some local outfit that takes you out? Can someone clarify if you have to rent a boat and go out near a lighthouse or if it's just off the shore or what?

I think we're planning on staying in Key Colony Beach for one night before trying to get the snorkeling in and then down to Key West for a couple of nights. I know it's all so short, but it's post-DisneyWorld and we don't have that much time. I do have some good info on stops along the way from UNCMickey and others too!

Thanks!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sombrero Reef / Key Colony visit

Sombrero Reef is 5 or 6 miles southeast of Sombrero Beach and you will need to go out on a boat to get there. There are snorkel boats that go out from Marathon. You can "google search" for one or stop at the Chamber of Commerce in Marathon. Sometimes the Chamber has specials for one of the snorkel boats.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sombrero Reef / Key Colony visit

Since you are staying in Key Colony Beach, make a meal stop at either Sparky's Landing or Key Colony Inn. We loved both of them. Key Colony Inn has inside seating while Sparky's Landing is open air with a view of the fishing boats coming and going.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sombrero Reef / Key Colony visit

If staying in KCB - A Deep Blue Dive rents snorkel equip. However, there isn't much to see from the shore. Sombrero Beach is different from Sombrero Reef - you'll have to swim about 3 miles to see the reef. And although KCB is a great place to stay - the entire town is central to the reef so to speak.

Key Colony has it's own small beach - again, not much to see for snorkeling.

A Deep Blue also has a boat that can take your family out to not only Sombrero Reef, but a couple of others beautiful area reefs.

4. Re: Sombrero Reef / Key Colony visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 11:51
Get answers to your questions about Key Colony Beach