We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay?

Waverly, Iowa
Level Contributor
170 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay?

Now that we've figured out the when of our vacation, we need to figure out the where?

We are looking to spend a week to 10 days in the keys. We will be spending this the last week of September into the first week of October. We think we can get our best value by doing a vacation rental for a week. Since we'd like to hit many of the keys and doing some sightseeing, it seems somewhere in the "middle" makes the most sense. We are two sisters in our 40's - 50's. We aren't super active, but hope to be able to snorkel a bit. Mostly, we want to relax.

We are looking to spend no more than 900-1000 on a weekly rental. It appears during this time of year, we should be able to get something for around 700/week, or maybe even less. We want a trustworthy rental, two beds, waterside is preferable. We'd like to have somewhere to have water views if possible and would also like to have somewhere outdoors that we could relax near the water. These are all just thoughts when thinking about a place.

Keeping this in mind, can anyone give us any thoughts on where and what key we should choose? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Kay

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay?

Middle Keys . . . Between Islamorada and Marathon. I'll let someone else recommend specific rentals.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay?

I don't know specific rentals. With that budget, the waterview you are most likely to get is a canal front. I can't imagine an open water at that rate, but I could very well be wrong. Start with VRBO and local real estate agencies. You will need 7 nights for a legal rental, or look at resorts with multiple rooms. I suggest Key Colony Beach as a start. Maybe Conch Key and Long Key too. And, take a look at some of our smaller resorts - Continental Inn, Ocean Beach Club, White Sands and Seashell as a start.

Waverly, Iowa
Level Contributor
170 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay?

Thank you so much for your response. We started looking at hotels and the like, but everything seemed CRAZY over priced, especially since we are traveling during a low season.

I hadn't seen some of the smaller resorts you listed above, and now that I've looked them over, I think the Continental Inn is PERFECT for what we are looking at. Its right in our budget and looks like a GREAT option.

I think the middle to lower keys are definetly our best bet for getting the most out of our vacation. And we are pretty easy going girls. We don't need anything fancy, just a nice place to lay our head and a fairly relaxing pace.

Any other suggestions are greatly apprecaited!

Edited: 06 March 2012, 02:01
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay?

It's a nice area with little land - things get expensive. Living here and running business' gets expensive!

5. Re: Where should we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:11