We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando to Islamorada...how long drive?

Spalding, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando to Islamorada...how long drive?

My husband and I are coming over to Florida for his 40th Birthday, on Independence day. Our first week is in Orlando and then we are driving down to Florida Keys, Islamorada to be precise.

We are in no hurry to get there, we just want to enjoy the scenery and take it all in.

First off, how long will the drive take approximately and also is it prettiest to go via Tampa and down the Gold Coast, or straight down to Miami? on the Florida Turnpike?

Can anyone recommend a website with a map for directions too.

So many questions!

Thanks

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando to Islamorada...how long drive?

Using the Florida Turnpike to go south from Orlando, you can, as a minimum, plan of taking at least 5.5-6.5 hours to get to Islamorada with the best of traffic conditions.

The prettiest route - I wouldn't say either route is particularly scenic other than typcal Florida flat lands and wide open spaces between Orlando and West Palm on the FL Turnpike. Not much better if you go down I-75 on the west coast and you'll have to cut back to go east across the state on Alligator Alley (still I-75) to get to the Keys.

I'd save enjoying the liesurely drive once I got down and into the Keys 'cause, in my opinion, the scenery off the FL Tpke or I-75 ain't much - maybe that's because I've lived here for as long as I have and am used to it. There're lots of little 'funky' places to stop in the Keys

In any event, stay off I-95 unless you have to detour off the turnpike for some traffic reason.

Web Sites:

www.see-florida-com - Florida site

www.greatlocations.com - Click on Florida Keys & Key West - Has maps

www.FlaKeys.com

Do your 'homework' before you arrive and your trip will be more enjoyable.

Guelph, ON
Level Contributor
320 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando to Islamorada...how long drive?

Taking the turnpike vs I95 will be much faster. We just traveled that route in March...be prepared for tolls though - cost us almost $20 to get to US1!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando to Islamorada...how long drive?

An alternative and less toll expensive route is to take I-95 south to Exit 116 ( Indiantown Rd ) and then jump on the FL Turnpike for the rest of the trip to the Keys. It's no more than 0.5 miles to the entrance to the turnpike once you get off I-95.