We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no-see-ums and mosquitoes

St. Louis
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
no-see-ums and mosquitoes

Are biting insects bad in July? If so, what insect repellent works? TIA

north island
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: no-see-ums and mosquitoes

They are worst right around dusk and dawn, but not so much if you are near the beach with a breeze. They like vegatation and back yards. Anything with DEET as an ingredient usually keeps them at bay.

north island
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: no-see-ums and mosquitoes

They are worst right around dusk and dawn, but not so much if you are near the beach with a breeze. They like vegatation and back yards. Anything with DEET as an ingredient usually keeps them at bay.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no-see-ums and mosquitoes

Just got back from Fort Myers Beach and went to the beach at Times Square in Fort Myers Beach, Lovers Key State park, Bowman's beach on Sanibel, Cayo Costa State Park and Siesta Key. The only time there were any bugs was the day on Cayo Costa State Park and there was a breeze coming over the land and not the Gulf. Check the weather and if there is a land breeze take the best bug spray you can find. We took the ferry from Tropic Star Cruises to Cayo Costa and were eaten alive for over four hours because we didn't have bug spray. Otherwise the other 6 days we spent on the beach were bug free.

Chicago
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no-see-ums and mosquitoes

I have been in Naples in July for the last two years. While the no-see-ums are not as bad as they are in March, I have gotten several bites, especially at the beach. I now use Bug and Sun sunscreen by Coppertone (I think). It has deet and sunscreen all mixed together and works great. Not a great smell, but worth it after last March's vacation and over 50 bites! Have fun.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: no-see-ums and mosquitoes

Many people say Avon's SkinSoSoft works great for insects - perhaps it will work for you. And the smell is good.