We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Hi all we will be travelling with our 18 year old daughter to FL in June. She is allowed a glass of wine with dinner here in Canada with parents in restaurants, but wondering if she is travelling and eating with us inFL, will they serve her a glass of wine down there, or will they ask her for ID.

I can understand if she was alone or with other young people that they would watch for underage drinking but wondering if they are sticky about that. In Canada the legal age is 18 or 19 depending which city.

My husband thinks they will let her (she looks older than 18 and will be with us), I say she won't be served.

Thoughts?

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Do not order her a drink or give her a sip of yours while you are in public. It is illegal in the United States to serve anyone under 21 alcohol, even if you are her parent. If caught you will be arrested. Ft. Lauderdale is a tourist town so you will most likely get carded if you look under the age of 30. Heck I'm over 30 and still get carded sometimes. It's not worth it just so your daughter can have a glass of wine on vacation.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Order a bottle and let her have a glass, no one will care

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Editing to add that I'm referring to you buying her a drink when at a restaurant or bar. You also risk the server getting fired and/or arrested and the establishment losing their serving license. It is their responsibility to card her but really not worth it.

If you want to celebrate the vacation, buy a bottle of wine and share it with her in your room.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Some bars card everyone regardless of their age to avoid being accused of discrimination. It seems to me that if you look under 30 you will be asked for ID in most bars. Off topic I know but I was once asked for ID in a bar in Key West when I was 45, anyone who thought I was under 21 would have needed a white stick and a guide dog.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

The penalty ( even for parents ) for buying liquor for someone underage can be up to 60 days in jail. Bars and restuarants here enforce liquor laws at the risk of being arrested themselves and/or losing their license and hence their business . A sign in the restaurant we went to yesterday cautioned that parents may not order liquor for minors or risk arrest. I suspect places here know that some European visitors may not be aware of the law and want to be sure they enforce it. To suggest that "no one will care" is just not true.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Some restaurants (particularly chains) have a compnay policy of carding Every Single person even grey haried werinkies. this is the CT As* so there are no comebacks with the 'law'

Where I live, I can serve my children alcohol at home, and in restaurants with me at age 16 (with a meal). But not there. Causes no end of discussions lol.

When in Rome...........................

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,523 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Any other laws you advocate them breaking msmejkal ?

As was stated, you or the establishment can get into serious trouble.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Thanks all. That's what I figured, and it certainly is not a big deal if she can't have a glass of wine with dinner. It's not worth the risk or the hassle or embarrassment.

On a separate note, do any of you have thoughts on what would be of interest to an 18 year old in FL? She will want to do beach and pool, and shopping, but is there anything else?

thx in advance

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

Shop til she drops I expect. that, and topping up the tan. Seeing the more fashionable set would be great for her. you could leave the men folk at home, and go people watching in the swankier areas/hotels/shops perhaps?

as to alcohol, there is a difference between informing people, and being judgmental. If my 20 yr old (who could legally drink for the previous 6 years in restaurants at home) took a beer from the fridge after I have gone to sleep ( I have terrible jet lag so am early to be in the whole first week) then I would be none the wiser. but I dont' hand it out, either.

I grew up in a different america. One that was not puritan but more practical and less judgemental than today.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do hotels/restaurants ask to see ID?

chill out brighton geez