We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

This is for those who are about going on the Oasis-of-the-Seas.

We went on May 8, 2010. Seemed like this is last date before the more expensive summer rates kick in. Had we gone a week later, we would have had to pay hundreds of dollars more per person. We booked our cruise through Costco Travel. Seven of us stayed in three staterooms.

We live in Fort Worth, TX and chose to book our flights ourselves. We flew to Fort Lauderdale a day early so that we could be sure we would not be late for the cruise.

Months before the cruise date, we booked our “My Time Dining”, reserved specialty restaurants, and shows; and got what we wanted. All was done on the Royal Caribbean website. “150 Central Park” Restaurant is extremely popular and can fill up very quickly. I saw people standing in lines at Guest Service desks trying to reserve restaurants and shows. They are wasting valuable time on the ship.

Get luggage tags from Royal Caribbean a few weeks before your cruise and put them on your luggage. With the luggage tag, you will be able to drop your luggage quickly at the curb when you arrive at the ship terminal.

We also checked in online in advance and received our paper Seapass. You will need the paper Seapass and your passport to check in. If you don’t get your paper Seapass in advance, your check-in process will be much more time consuming. A permanent Seapass will be issued to you after you check in. Use the Seapass to get in your room or make purchases. You will pay for your purchases at the end of your trip. No cash or credit cards are needed during your trip.

For the 5:00 PM departure, we got to the ship terminal at 11:00 AM and were on board at 11:30 AM. When you board the ship, you will be greeted on Deck 5, the Royal Promenade. Your room will not be ready until 1:00 PM so if you come on board before your room is ready; there are plenty of places to eat on Deck 5, or the Park Café on Deck 8, or the crowded Windjammer buffet on Deck 16.

Royal Caribbean website has a list of free and paid restaurants. Get to know where all these restaurants are located prior to your cruise.

There are two dining times for “My Time Dining” in the Opus Restaurant 6:00 PM and 8:30 PM. Book one of these times and you will get to eat at the same time, same table, and be served by the same wait staff every night. That doesn’t mean you have to eat there every night… you can skip it and go eat somewhere else any night if you like. If you didn’t reserve your “My Time Dining” and want to eat at Opus, just show up they will seat you when they have an available table.

Royal Caribbean publishes a day planner every day. Daily planner is an invaluable document as it tells you what is going on on the ship the next day. Read it the night before so that you cap map out your activities for the next day. Royal Caribbean devotes one TV channel to inform you of all activities in details.

We didn’t book any shore excursions with Royal Caribbean. I think they are overpriced. We made our own arrangements and I describe those excursions on my Day 2, Day 4, and Day 5 Blog. In Nassau, you can take the ferry ($3 per person one way) to Paradise Island to visit the Atlantis. We loved Magens Bay Beach in St Thomas and Orient Beach in St Maarten. In St Maarten, if you just want to go to the closest beach and shop, then take the water taxi from the ship dock ($3 per person one way). If you drive in St Maarten, be aware that the traffic congestion is BAD.

Carry your Seapass and passport when you get off the ship so that you can be allowed back on.

Return to the ship 30 minutes before the time they state on the day planner. The ship will not wait for you.

On our cruise, formal nights were on Day 2 and Day 5. Not many people wear tuxedos or evening gowns anymore. On formal night, I wore a suit and a tie and Lee had on a nice dress.

Even with 6,000 passengers and 2,500 crew members, we did not feel crowded at all.

Royal Caribbean has photographers that can take great pictures of you and your party. Face recognition software allows them to place your pictures in your folder in the Focus Shop. Your folder number is printed on your Seapass. Pictures are expensive and can range up to $20 per copy. We didn’t buy that many pictures from Royal Caribbean. We took our own pictures (1,653 of them).

If you decide not to go to any of the specialty restaurants, I still suggest you go into all of them during their non-busy times and look around. The “150 Central Park” and “Chops Grilled” Restaurant; and Vintages Bar all on Central Park have awesome decors.

The paid internet service on the ship is very slow. I bought 500 minutes for $150 but only used a third of it because I got so frustrated and gave up. Went to Guess Service and they refunded me the unused portion.

De-embarkation process is simple. Pay attention to what they inform you through the day planner or Channel 14, and fill out forms they give you and you will be able to get off the ship without any problems. They will allow you off the ship at Port Everglades as early as 6:30 AM so if your flight is 10:00 AM or later, you should not have any problem making your flight.

I have one word for those who are going : UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Enjoy your cruise and feel free to add to or correct any of my notes.

You can go here for details of my cruise:

bocung.com/crusing_the_caribbean_-_first_few…

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Very extensive report. I hope you are posting it at Trip Advisors sister site "Cruise Critic". There is a link at the bottom of the page that will take you there.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

this is a very good trip report. probably very helpful for soon to be cruisers

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Very interesting and informative. However, as a non-cruiser it does sound heck of a complicated!! As a land lubber I think I'll stick to what I know and not have to be so organised.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Great report! I've heard both the Oasis and now the new Allure are the ships to cruise.... Glad you had such a good time and thank you for all of the valuable information!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Jackiee- unless you are prone to sea sickness I think you would love cruising- the service is top notch - and while many cruisers are very organized, I don't think I am - there is something for everyone on a cruise.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

I'm almost certain that if I ever do go on a cruise that I'd be hooked. Everyone who tries it seems to love it so I'm sure I wouldn't be any different.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Thanks for the blog, Bo! Once again great pictures!!

Can't wait until our turn to go on it in April of 2011.

Just one question, as big as the Oasis is, Can you feel it swaying side to side, my dad who will be joining us on the cruise, is terribly terrified of getting motion sickness.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Josh, no swaying on our first six days. On Day 7, the ship was heading nonstop back to Ft Lauderdale and I could feel a slight swaying. If you feel like you are about to be seasick, hospital staff on the lowest deck will give you free medication for you to take. My wife got some and felt better immediately.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

Cruising is the way to go if you asked me. My countdown will begin soon!! Can't wait til March!!!!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oasis of the Seas Final Thoughts

My husband and I (just the two of us) are going on the Oasis of the Seas in three weeks! This will be our first cruise! We are two very active 35 year olds. We are excited as well as very nervous of what to expect. Any advice you could give us would be great . Where and how do we get luggage tags and boarding passes before we go on our cruise? How much are drinks? Can you order food to your cabin? Thank you ......Cheryl