We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

Hello,

We will be driving down the coast in May and my 6 yr old daughter wants to find sharks teeth. After doing some research it seems like the englewood/manasota key area is a great place to look. We only have an afternoon so I was wondering which beach would be the best place to go to find sharks teeth? Also, are they easy to find and is a certain time of day best to find them? Thank you so much for any info.

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

I would say Middle Beach, Manasota Key is great for Sharks teeth.

As the tide goes out they are in the sand.

You can purchase a scooper, metal shaped like an inverted roof with a pole, for about $6 and this will provide an array of teeth and shells.

You probably know this but the teeth are blacks and browns, on my first trip I was looking for white teeth???? Drrrrr

Lynne

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

Blind pass (Middle beach) and Stump pass beach.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

That handy to know as i would of been looking for white not black/brown.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

Really any time of day but obviously during daylight...the earlier the better as others might have picked thru the same area you will be searching.

I would start at Manasota Key beach and work my way south...

Also be aware Manasota and Middle beach are free parking! Englewood beach there is a fee!!

Good luck!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

I quite often find the best ones as waves go in/out of 'shell bands' as opposed to just sand. and this can happen anytime.

In fact,I have found good ones following others on the beach (who have taken what they have seen) but new ones turn up with each wave. So if there are a number of waves between you and the next guy, you never knwo what will turn up lol.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

James that really handy new about free parking. Any other areas we should know about as can add it to my list i'm complying together for our hols. Trying to make it easier for us as may not get access to internet while we are away.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

Stump pass is a state park so there is an all daycharge of around $3 I think. and you can return at sunset if you have gone earlier, but do what you leave quickly as the guy is waiting to close the park gates.

I also find sharks teeth on gasparilla island. Some areas of parking are free, others like at the end of the island at the lighthouse are again a state park so a fee applies.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

I would avoid gasparilla island ...there may be some free parking at beach areas but they rob you at the toll bridge (fee) to get on the island.

Stick with Manasota Key Beach and Blind Pass (to us locals..."middle beach" you can't go wrong with them and no fees to park.

In town there is free wireless at Subway ...I suppose you have to buy something though to get the code...same for McDonalds.

Good luck!

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

I disagree I think Gasparilla Island is well worth a visit even with the toll, it is so beautiful and South Beach is wow with great shells.

Out of season we have been alone on this beach early on in the morning, it is fantastic.

The town of Boca has an ecletic mix of little shops and eateries just a nice place to while away a couple of hours after the beach.

Or take in the sunset at South Beach bar and Grill.

Lynne

Edited: 06 February 2012, 02:43
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach for finding sharks teeth?

I also dont think the bridge toll is 'robbing' people. A hurricane took out the old bridge, and with the new specs they have to keep the new one up to code and the state isn't paying for it so someone has to?

a bump to $7.50 will probably mean I go less often though. and unlike many I don't go there for 'free' I always spend money buying lunch or dinner when there.

Get answers to your questions about Englewood