We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caladesi Island

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Caladesi Island

Hello,

I'll be around the Dunedin area for a few days before heading down to the Keys, and I was wondering what the snorkeling is like on Caladesi Island. Now, I know it won't be the best Florida has to offer, but I'm an avid snorkeler and I'd like to experience what the area is like and Ive heard that Caladesi is the best, snorkeling-wise. So, what is it like there? What can you see, where's the best spot on the island, is it worth it, etc., etc? Also, if you don't recommend Caladesi, is there any other place that's great snorkeling for the area within 45 minutes of Dunedin? It'd be great if its somewhere I can access without taking a tour. Thanks.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caladesi Island

I'm not a snorkeler, but will offer what I can. I would think in this area, both Caladesi, and maybe around Ft. Desoto Park would offer the best in the area. Might not be so much to see, sandy bottom, and an occasional fish or crab maybe, but these are two beach areas that are primitive, and undeveloped, which I would guess may make for better snorkeling. Might want to throw Honeymoon Island in there also, which is the next island North of Caladesi, and accessable by car by the Dunedin Causeway.

Be sure to check out downtown Dunedin also. Some little shops, and some very nice, and fun restaurants and pubs. Very pedestrian friendly area to visit a few places. Casa Tina for great Mexican, and Jolly Mon for a bit of everything are a couple of my favorites there.

2. Re: Caladesi Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 03:45
Get answers to your questions about Dunedin