We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for best place to stay for a family

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for best place to stay for a family

Hi -

We are heading to the Keys next March for 6-5 days of R&R and sun after spending a couple of weeks in Ecuador. It will be my husband, myself and our 7 yr old. It will also be my husband's 50th b-day. So we are looking for a resort NOT in Key West which would be fun for our child and have nice facilities. We will have a car. As far as what we want to do while there - Swim, relax, snorkel, get out on the water either with a cat trip or fishing and we hope to maybe rent a Hobie and do some sailing. My daughter loves playing in the sand. On the water would be nice. Would like a place under $300/nt - definitely no $500/nt places. We may eat a breakfast or lunch at the hotel but will dine out for dinner. Don't need a kitchenette - this is my vacay too and I don't cook on vacation. Other suggestions of things to do (except dolphins - we've done that before) and places to eat are very welcome too.

Thanks!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for best place to stay for a family

Look in Marathon. The nicest (in my opinion) is Tranquility Bay. On Duck Key there is Hawks Cay - also pretty darn nice. Both will be well under the $500 per night limit you have set, and will probably be under the $300 per night limit.

As far as finding hotels with nice sandy beaches - I don't know what Hawks Cay has. Tranquility Bay has a man-made beach. Adequate at best. Nice pool area.

Some of the smaller hotels in Key Colony Beach will be on sand beaches.

Places to eat. In Marathon there are several that we like. Sparky's Landing is our favorite. Keys Fisheries is good. Burdines and Castaway also. The Hurricane has $0.25 chicken wings on Thursday nights.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,622 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for best place to stay for a family

You might want to post your questions on the Florida Keys forum. BG has good suggestions. I would also add Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada. The keys are not noted for large resorts. Most places are mom & pops with offsite dining. Plenty of good places to eat, breakfast, lunch and dinner. No need to cook if you don't want to. There are also a few bakeries thru out the keys too for breakfast items along with Publix and Winn Dixie.

Larger beaches are Sombrero Beach and Bahia Honda both nice places to spend some time, pack a picnic lunch and relax.

3. Re: Looking for best place to stay for a family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 02:45