We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best draft selection in the area

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best draft selection in the area

My wife and I will be in Destin next month and we're looking for the best beer bars. We see the McGuire's has a good selection - do any of the seafood places have craft beer? Variety and low prices are a plus!

We've noticed Chan's to stock up on stuff we can't get here in beer hell.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best draft selection in the area

Believe it or not mellow mushroom , best stop at mcGuires...

Here is a good link from the pros on your subject

thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php…

Highly reccomend you try Grayton beach ale or pale ale local, yummy

http://graytonbeer.com/about

Hoffmeir bru house ( not sure on spelling ) just opened in Baytown Wharf , great selection fun joint!

Check out dockside ale house and red door on destin harbor fun beer stops!

Edited: 13 June 2012, 04:17
Anguilla...
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best draft selection in the area

Yea, I saw the Mellow Mushroom on Beer Advocate as well. We have those here in MS too. Good Pizza but was hoping for a decent seafood place. I hate chain places and it seems that the coast is ate up with them - or places that look like they ought to be a chain (fudpuckers? really?) :)

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best draft selection in the area

There is a new brew pub in Ft Walton Beach called Props. They have been open a while but not brewing their own - the brew kettles were sitting there unused. About 4 weeks ago I went there and they were just finishing up with installing the kettles. Said they hoped to start brewing within the week. I have been meaning to go back over there and see but just haven't made it. Even if they do not have their own brew yet - they had a real nice selection.

If you are driving through Pensacola - Pensacola Bay Brewery is open in the historic district. They are unable to sell beer there - so they sell their pint glass for $5.00 and you get the beer for free.

I think you will be surprised to see how many different beers are served on tap here at a lot of places.

Miller's Ale House in Destin has a decent selection as well.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best draft selection in the area

I agree with the above, Millers Ale House and Mellow Mushroom probably have the widest variety of draft beers on tap....

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best draft selection in the area

Millers has the widest variety from what I've seen, but it's mostly American Macros and typical imports. I only see one American micro on their list.

I'll check out Props and the brewery in Pensacola. Mellow mushroom may be the only place with a variety of craft beer, but we're not going to the coast to eat Pizza :)

Thanks for the help. I think we may end up just stocking up at Chan's Wine World before we head back to beer hell.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best draft selection in the area

Chans usually has a beer tasting on Wed nights. They charge $5.00 and you get to taste that micros beers for a couple of hours.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best draft selection in the area

Or if in doubt 1.00 PBR ( the best of handcrafted beer ) at Dockside Ale House

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best draft selection in the area

I saw that Chan's has beer tastings but we won't be in town on Wednesday.

While I have no problem with PBR (I prefer Schlitz if I'm going to drink American Pale Lager, but I usually Budweiser is much easier to get), I'd hardly consider it "hand crafted" when Pabst contract brews with Miller to produce it. :)

Doesn't look like much of a beer scene down there, but it's cool - there's at least some bottle shops down there with stuff I can't get here.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best draft selection in the area

The PBR handcrafted thing was a joke, was simply pointing out a dollar beer....

No this area is not to be confused as the handcrafted beer center of America ....

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best draft selection in the area

While I can't find a menu for the place - this Dockside Ale house actually has a good selection of beer.

Yea, I figured that before I even started looking for beer. So where do the locals eat seafood? It looks like lots of chain and chain-type places. I don't want to go to the beach and eat frozen seafood.