We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

Memphis
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

I have been browsing tripadvisor and vrbo.com for places to stay in Ft Walton Beach and Destin area. All the way to Pensacola and Panama City. It looks consistently as if the Destin water is much much more blue and clear.

How can this be? What would be the reason? Is it true?

From those who are experienced, do you notice any difference in the color of the water in Destin beaches? Is this why the condos appear to be more expensive too? Or is it just a more exclusive "neighborhood"?

I'm looking for a condo below $1200 a week in Destin during the summer. Possible? Thanks for advice!

location, location...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

Occam's razor (sometimes spelled Ockham's razor) is a principle attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar William of Ockham. The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", or "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity".

That being said, the simplest explanation for the phenomenon you described is magic! Destin is a magical place and of course the water is bluer here.

Memphis
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

LOL. You're likable!

Thanks for a timely reply! Anyone else know?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

This is called the Emerald Coast. The water is more of an Emerald Green color than blue.

Why is Destin more expensive, because it is much nicer than Ft. Walton Beach, Panama City Beach or Pensacola. Destin is where it is at.

If you look across the beach or at some of the cotttages in Crystal Beach a block or so off the beach you may be able to find something quite nice for your price range.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

Following is a copy of a post by Hawkfish in February. I don't know how exact it is but it sounds like a very reasonable explanation to me:

Destin definitely has the clearest water on the U.S. Gulf of Mexico coast. As I understand it, the reasons for this are twofold:

First, and most importantly, the narrowest continental shelf in the Gulf is off Destin. An underwater feature called the DeSoto Canyon extends inward from deep offshore water toward Destin. You can readily see this on any map that shows underwater bathymetry. The part of canyon closest to shore is the famous fishing spot "The Nipple". This canyon acts to "funnel" clear offshore water into Destin. Secondly, the current system in the northern Gulf of Mexico moves in a counter-clockwise direction. This means that the tremendous volume of murky water coming from the Mississippi River goes toward Texas rather than toward Destin.

Although the water in Destin is surprisingly clear considering its continental location, the water is clearer in many tropical locations, especially islands that are removed from any continental runoff. For example, my experience is that the water is clearer at most of the well-known Caribbean destinations than in Destin. In addition, the tropical beaches usually don't have the June grass or sargassum weed problems that can sometimes plague Destin. As far as sand quality goes, however, I have yet to find anywhere as nice as Destin. Next to Destin, the best beaches I have seen in terms of sand have been in the Yucatan and in the Bahamas, but the consistency and whiteness was not as good as Destin's sugar-like sand.

Memphis
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

Thanks, sun! That was quite an informative reply. I found some Nautical maps to show what Hawkfish was talking about.

I used to live in Montgomery, AL as a kid, and I didn't remember the beaches in the panhandle as clear or blue. In fact, the first time I ever saw water that was clear like a swimming pool was in Ft Lauderdale, and then the caribbean. The pictures of water in Destin are so impressive on a multitude of vrbo postings and websites. It's 8 hours from home now, so I think I might try a trip to Destin in the summer.

I'm going to have to agree with you about the sand and the beach quality, just in the panhandle, in general. I've been to beaches with nicer and warmer water, but I have never been to one that had softer, thicker, or whiter sand... or beaches that are this wide. Punta Cana is probably the nicest overall, that I've been to, as far as water clarity, snorkeling, and wide white sand beaches.

Doesn't seem like there should be a difference between the water in Ft Walton Okaloosa Island and the water in Destin. I'm still wondering about this.........

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

A word about the sand in Destin. The sand at most beaches is made of crushed shell. Not so in Destin. Because of the reasons in the above coast, uniquely, our sand is made of crushed quartz. it looks just like fine white sugar and is fine as sugar as well.

Destin is just better. Accept that and carry on!

I have posted this many times, it is a great view of Destin. Take a look.

http://www.destinchamber.com/destin/photo.asp

Memphis
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

Oh yeah, semco, I emailed that page to a friend yesterday. Just beautiful.The water in those photos looks caribbean.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

To add to what everyone above has said, the different depths of the water reflect the shades of green differently. That along with some shadows of scattered clouds, produce some fantastic visual images. Best example of this is a pic that I posted here on TA. Click the "more about" link on my username, then select the photos tab. I think it's the last one labeled Destin Pass with a boat in the picture.

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

to second an above poster, Destin is where it is at. Stay away from pensacola and definitely panama city. i used to like pc (redneck riveria) until i grew up and started making some money. destin is more exclusive and family oriented and the beach is great. shopping and restaurants are in abundance in destin...great outlet mall!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Ocean Water more BLUE in Destin than in Ft Walton?

Silver Sands Factory Outlet Mall is the largest this side of the Mississippi River.

http://www.silversandsoutlet.com/

Get answers to your questions about Destin