We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton

14 posts
Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton

What are the typical prices at the fresh seafood markets? Say for crab legs, shrimps, etc... And is there a difference in taste compared to typicall, Sam's Club/Costco frozen seafood? Also, if you could recommend your favorites, much appreciated.

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton

Price is Market price.... based on what is in season and what they have in stock.... (also varies by size for shrimp, head on, headless, etc.)

Crab Legs are flown in from Alaska, so price and quality should be similar to wherever you live.

Taste difference?!? Really, Really..... Fresh out of the Gulf, I mean like most of it was swimming in the Gulf less than 24 hours ago, is FRESH out of the Gulf! It will be so much better than frozen from anywhere.

Destin Ice, Blaylocks, Skippers, Shrimpers, and Sexton's are all local and will be good! Most of them will not take a credit card though. They will take your check, even from out of town.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
146 reviews
2. Re: Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton

Destin Ice takes credit cards. We've also gone to Blaylocks, but Destin Ice is our go to place. Royal Reds are the special shrimp you often find in the markets. We can't get those up north. They're very large and tender. I won't buy anything else now after buying wild caught gulf shrimp. You can find those in markets back home, but you've got to look carefully in the freezer section. When we're in Destin we eat almost only seafood and buy shrimp a couple times a week.

14 posts
3. Re: Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton

Thanks all, I will definitely give them a try. Appreciate it!

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
287 reviews
4. Re: Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton

If you check I think you'll find Sexton Seafood to be the least expensive of all the Destin options. The fish are the same from place to place.

I buy my seafood at Willinghams in Niceville. It's only a short drive from Destin, and if you're going near the airport or through Crestview on your way to or home from Destin it's not at all far out of your way. The prices are low enough to make it worth the drive if you're going to get more than a couple pounds of seafood.

Medium, head-on shrimp can be bought for somewhere between $3 and $6 per pound, depending where you buy them. Medium head-off is about 30-40% more, typically.

Large shrimp are usually $5 - $10/lb. I think you'll find the lowest price at Willinghams. They have two shrimp boats, so they typically offer that size shrimp at a lower price at you'll see in Destin, because Destin seafood companies have to buy their shrimp from other people's boats.

You mentioned crab legs, but you might not know you can buy live blue crab here. It's excellent eating, but messy. It's a "social thing" for many people down here...much like a bug-boil.

14 posts
5. Re: Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton

Y’all were right, Royal Reds were delicious! They do not taste like shrimp though, taste like lobster. I did the 90sec recipe, just through them into boiling water for 90sec and pull them out. My whole family loved it! I went to Gulf Coast Seafood since at the time they had the best offer. One thing, I am killing myself for not getting a cooler and taking like 10lbs home with me. Maybe even 20lbs. Anyways, this will be our thing when we go to the gulf coast from now on.

Reply to: Seafood Market Destin/ Fort Walton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted