We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October vacation and wedding scouting

C H
Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
October vacation and wedding scouting

We're coming in to Destin/Miramar Beach October 1 to mostly relax but also to scout locations for our wedding next year.

Vacation part - what are some good places for adults to go? I love kids, I have kids and grandkids, but I don't want to be surrounded by shrieking children all week. We're already booking a deep sea fishing charter and a sunset cruise. I'm good with sitting at a quiet beach with a book so any out of the way beach recommendations are welcome. I've read sooooo many restaurant suggestions but not so many for nightlife/bars. Any live music bars? We're both musicians so going out to hear the local talent would be fun. We have a condo at the Majestic Sands but will have a car and don't mind driving.

Wedding part - we're doing a very small wedding Oct 5th next year and want to get married on the beach. 30ish people, mostly adults other than my 3 grandchildren. I don't necessarily want to get locked into a contract with a wedding planner but if you know of a great one I'll definitely consider it. In theory we really only need chairs and electricity and the power part is optional, but some flowers and decor would probably be a good idea. Definitely not looking for an elaborate setup since I'd rather spend money on the celebration after the ceremony. Which brings me to caterers or restaurants for the reception. We love seafood, pasta, heavy hors d'oeuvres, tapas ... my ideal "reception" would be a bonfire on the beach with fresh seafood, wine and s'mores! LOL

Sorry for the long post and I truly appreciate any suggestions!!

7 replies to this topic
Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: October vacation and wedding scouting

The first two weeks of October are fall break weeks and there are lots of families in town. It is growing in popularity. In fact all the rental condos in our building sell out. That is why we now wait until the 3rd of October to come down. There is now a slight price bump on rentals during those two weeks.

C H
Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: October vacation and wedding scouting

A friend of ours owns the condo so that's already taken care of for this year and next.

Carrollton, Georgia
Level Contributor
597 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: October vacation and wedding scouting

Try the Red Bar in Grayton Beach.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
287 reviews
4. Re: October vacation and wedding scouting

One of the coolest wedding ideas I've ever seen was a suggestion I got from a friend, that my wife and I renewed our vows a few years ago.

We chartered a big shorkel/dolphin cruise boat that was owned by Destin Snorkel, and took a party of 47 people out on a 3-hour cruise (boat name: Reef Runner). We bought prepared food...deli sandwiches, cheese and meat trays, dips and chips from Sam's Club, put nice table covers over the two big boxes in the middle of the boat, and used them as tables. We brought wine, beer, and had about a dozen bottles of liquor, and our own private bartender, who used the little bar on the back of the boat. We set up an "arch" with flowers on it over the back entry way of the boat, and asked the boat captain to park the boat about 300 yards north of Crab Island, with the rear facing the sunset, about 20 minutes before legal sunset, and we performed the ceremony then.

As it happened the captain positioned the boat perfectly, just as about a half dozen pods of dolphins were breaking the surface in the same area. We had about 30-40 dolphins all around the boat while the short ceremony was happening, as the sun set behind my wife and I during our vows. It was amazing. I would have paid 3 or 4 times what that cruise cost us to get the kind of scenery, sunset, and privacy. It was far, far better than the best beach wedding we've ever seen...and we've lived in the Destin area for many years.

We have friends and family who were with us remind us of that night, who remind us of that night almost every time we get together. It was about as perfect an event as I could have ever imagined. The only thing I wish I'd done differently was that we used a boom-box for music, instead of hiring a solo guitar player/singer. If we have a "do-over" for our 50th I'll remember that lesson.

The food and booze cost us about $400, and we tipped the boat crew (2) $100 each. Aside from that the only expense was chartering the boat (I'm sure that price has changed, so I won't mention the number) and paying the minister.

Let me know if you need more info on that option. I can tell you exacty who to call.

Edited: 11 August 2018, 20:59
C H
Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: October vacation and wedding scouting

Oh wow! Sounds like a beautiful wedding! Right now I have my heart set on a beach bonfire but I still have a year - that may change! We've been thinking about doing a charter when we go down this year so I'd still be interested in the name of the company you used.

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
307 posts
221 reviews
6. Re: October vacation and wedding scouting

You can have beach bonfires in Gulf and Franklin counties - Cape San Blas, Port St Joe, St Joe Beach, and St George Island(some areas). You can also in Walton county(30-A/Santa Rosa) with a permit, but not in Bay (PCB) or Okaloosa (Destin) counties.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
287 reviews
7. Re: October vacation and wedding scouting

Joe is right about beach bonfires. In addition to what he said, you need to also understand that on the beach in Walton Country, for example, the fire must be totally contained. Many people bring those metal fire pits, and some bring 55-gallon barrels, so they can be dragged off the beach at the end of the night (a requirement).

Also, I think most places limit the number of fires they allow at any given time. In many spots the limit is 1.

The company my wife and I used was mentioned in my original comment...Destin Snorkel. We used their largest boat, the Reef Runner.

Another option would be to charter the Solaris, out of Baytown Wharf. That will be more expensive, but they can handle far more people, and you can have table service on the boat for your reception.

Reply to: October vacation and wedding scouting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted