We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin - Advice on where to stay

Louisville, Kentucky
13 posts
Save Topic
Destin - Advice on where to stay

Hi all,

Every year my big family takes a trip. Last few years we have gone to Fort Morgan (Gulf Shores) and stayed at the beach club resort. We really liked it and its still an option for this upcoming June when we go for a week. However we wanted to try something new and Destin is the front runner.

We have about 7 different families going, with ages from literally 1 to 70 and everything in between - high school, college, young adult. We like nice places but at the same time aren't big spenders who get the best of the best. I would describe us as upper middle class.

Just trying to figure out what community is big enough that has many different room options so that we can all stay on the same grounds, but different rooms. What we are looking for...

Pools

Beachfront with good ocean views from the balcony

Beach Volleyball (where we stay at GS has this and we always love it)

Basketball courts - we are from Louisville, KY, so big fans of playing ;)

Also we have people who like to surf fish as well as boogie board. From the looks of all the pictures I see, it looks like the waves are really calm. While not wanting hurricane waves, we do like some good wave action to swim in and boogie board on. How are Destin waves in June?

So all in all looking for recommendations on places to stay! Thanks for any advice

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
11 replies to this topic
Louisville, Kentucky
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

Oh, and we dont want to stay in hotels or older, out dated places

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

I'm going to have to give your request some thought as no place is really at the top of my mind right now that will fill all of your needs.....

I can answer the wave question though (sort of)... It depends on the weather and wind (usually go hand in hand)... I would say that whatever wave action you are used to having @ Ft Morgan, the waves in Destin will be nearly identical in height. Just don't have structures to look at off-shore in Destin like Gulf Shores.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Louisville, Kentucky
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

The basketball court isn’t really necessary, I should have left that one out. We do love beach volleyball though. In general, do you think there would be enough space to bring our own net and set up on the beach? Ir is that rude for taking up so much space?

Thanks for looking into it though!

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

Perhaps Leeward Key condominiums might work for you.

https:/…Leeward-Key-1

The site says they manage 16 units.

The beach is pretty wide there. If you set the net far back from the beach chairs, it should work.

Edited: 09 December 2017, 08:51
United States
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

Leeward Key is a good suggestion; the location is great, as are the views (from across the street from the gulf). But 7 units all for the same week could be a problem there or anywhere in June.

A high rise in mid Destin might have more opportunity for that many rentals. I never liked high rises when we rented, but it could be the way you have to go.

You might check with Ocean Reef Vacation Rentals. They have a lot of high rise units in Destin and Miramar Beach, (which would be my choice of areas).

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Miramar Beach
Miramar Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
U.S.
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

You might check out Maravilla. We have taken our kids there the last 3 years and love it. 2 pools, tennis, basketball, one hot tub, grills to use and most condos have been updated to look brand new. All the condos come with 2 chairs and umbrella and the beach is not that crowded. Volleyball on the beach and walking distance to Pomp. Joes. We love it.

Mentioned in this post
Maravilla
Maravilla
68 Reviews
Destin, FL
Oxford, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

We go down every July with a large group. We have stayed at both Maravilla and Amalfi Coast Resort with large groups. Both have two pools, basketball courts and options for gulf front views. Amalfi area is transitioning from private to public beach so not sure what that will hold for beach & beach volleyball??? You won’t have any issue booking multiple units in either complex.

Mentioned in this post
Maravilla
Maravilla
68 Reviews
Destin, FL
Amalfi Coast Resort
Amalfi Coast Resort
84 Reviews
Destin, FL
Louisville, Kentucky
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

Ok so after some looking I found silver towers. Everything about it looked perfect and exactly what we wanted. Was reading reviews though and saw they don’t allow you to set up your own tents which is a huge turn off for our group. The property looked modern, clean and nice. Is there anything else very similar to silver beach towers?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

Here is a map of Destin area condos to help with your search. It is an older map but still has good info.

You might look in Sandestin at Beachside 1and 2.

floridacondorentals.net/destin_locations.htm

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Sandestin
Sandestin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Beachside Inn
Beachside Inn
217 Reviews
Destin, FL
Destin
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destin - Advice on where to stay

Have you considered renting a big beach house that would fit everyone? Some of these homes for rent sleep 30+ and have private pools. If you booked one around Crystal beach there are two public beach accesses with volley ball nets. One at Pompano Joes and one at Crab Trap. I'd check Newman Dailey for rentals or even VRBO.

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Joe's
Pompano Joe's
3,185 Reviews
Destin, FL
The Crab Trap Destin
The Crab Trap Destin
2,861 Reviews
Destin, FL
Reply to: Destin - Advice on where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted