We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

Louisville
3 posts
Save Topic
Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

Has anyone stayed at the cabins in Mid-Bay Shores operated by Maxwell/Gunter Outdoor recreation? If so how are they? Going on vacation June 2 thru June 10th in and around Destin area with a five year old and a two year old. Plan on geting some fishing in any advice would be great !!!!

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

Are these the cabins, concrete block houses, at the foot of the mid-bay bridge in Bluewater Bay?

I don't think there is anything called that in Destin. I would be concerned with the water quality there.

Louisville
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

I beleive so, We have never been here before. We have stayed at other Military MWR places and really enjoyed them. What is the concern with the water quality ? Any other information would be great.

Thanks

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

Water quality testing results are published in the NW Florida Daily News every Friday. I would make a point to pick up one of those papers before I got into it.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
134 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

I stayed there the last two summers. We swam in the water but never thought about the quality. The rooms are nice and most are right on the water. The accomodations are up to military standards. It is very quiet. You can fish from the beach, the rock jetty, or a fishing pier. The fishing is generally food. We are returning this weekend mainly for the fishing since it will be way too cold to swim. Availability is usually pretty scarce in the summer.

Louisville
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

Huasch,

Thanks alot, We did manage to get cabin # 5 from June 2 to June 8th. Looking forward to getting some fishing in. What kinda of fish do you catch from shore?

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
134 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

Not too sure what some were but were good eating, also flounder, red drum, some kind of trout. With a dip net you can catch small shrimp for bait. With a trap or handline you can catch crabs. If you had a cast net you could probably catch mullet (you will see a lot of them jumping but they don't take bait). A light and gig would be better for the flounder but they will take bait.

7. Re: Cabins at Mid Bay Shores Maxwell/Gunter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 11:48