We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airfare for next summer

jrj
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
airfare for next summer

We are bringing my son, his wife, and 4 kids to Clearwater for a family vacation next June. When is the best time to purchase airline tickets from CHgo to Tampa for a summer vacations? I'm assuming now is not the cheapest. ANy thoughts? Which airlines would have the cheapest tickets?

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Calypso Queen Tropical Party Buffet...
40 Reviews
from US$ 29.00*
Free Cancellation
Clearwater Dolphin-Watching Tour
144 Reviews
from US$ 26.75*
Free Cancellation
Tampa Bay CityPASS
24 Reviews
from US$ 107.00*
Free Cancellation
Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airfare for next summer

I would try Southwest out of Midway. With no bags fee, I have found it the least amount to pay.

Right now they are booking thru early March so you will have to wait about 3 months before published fares are available for June. If you book around November, you'll be able to get a non stop flight at desirable times. I would guess around 200. roundtrip each is a great value to lock in.

We paid 221. MIlw to Orlando Oct 10.

http://www.southwest.com/flight/

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airfare for next summer

I agree. Southwest has nonstops betweeen TPA and MDW. I just paid $125 for a one way, and think that is pretty good. Airtran also has flights between TPA and MDW, but normally with a stop in Atlanta.

Mentioned in this post
atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airfare for next summer

Go to clarkhoward.com's travel section. He usually recommends waiting until a month or two before to get the best price, and consider alternate airports for take off and landing (ie.... Orlando is probably always cheaper than Tampa, for us it is often better to fly out of Birmingham to go west, but flying from Atlanta is almost always cheaper to everywhere else).

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
jrj
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airfare for next summer

Thanks for all your tips. We will continue to monitor tickets. Non stop appeals as we will be with 4 kids. :-)

Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: airfare for next summer

I fly Southwest all the time and I would recommend that you book with them direct over a travel site. If you need to cancel you will get a flight credit for your full airfare amount to be used in the 6 months. Secondly, Its time consuming but I book each way separately.. For example I book my flight from Midway to Tampa..200.00. then I book tampa to midway 175...as a separate transaction...if the rates to tampa goes down to 175 I save 25.00 on each person I booked... SWA flight prices fluctuate day to day week to week.

Two summers ago I rebooked and saved about 300.00 on 6 people. The key is to ck their site once or twice a week... Also if you can fly out on a Tuesday or Wednesday you find cheaper rates...hope this helps...The other two airlines that I have not used but friends have are Vision and Frontier.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: airfare for next summer

As far as Tampa and Orlando....I have flown for as little as 112 or so each way to Tampa from Louisville on a 2 hour direct flight....I think Frontier flys into St Petersburg.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airfare for next summer

Booking direct with SW, you will get a full credit good for 12 months if you have to cancel. $375. sounds like alot to pay for 2 one-way tickets on SW... Midway - Tampa - Midway.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: airfare for next summer

I don't think it is 12 months anymore and also the cancelled flight has to be re booked in the same name......In the past you could use your credit for anyone.

maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: airfare for next summer

Don't forget that airlines charge about $25 each way for checked bags. With so many people that will really add up. Southwest doesn't charge for checked baggage.

10. Re: airfare for next summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 10:48