We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week following Xmas???

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Week following Xmas???

Going to CKey Dec 27-31, staying at Faraway Inn (have my little dogs)

Does anyone know if they roll up the sidewalks the week following Xmas? Esp. the bars/restaurants? Shops?

I'd hate to get there and no places open?

Thanks in advance!

Tampa
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Week following Xmas???

Hey LadyFish, we've been there the week after Christmas and although it is very quite all the restaurants on Dock Street were open. Try Big Deck for great burgers, Pickled Pelican for good meals and do not miss going to Tony's for the World Famous Clam Chowder. Also, The Island Hotel & Neptune Bar & Resturant was open and one of my favortie places.

You will love the Fairaway Inn, Doreen and her husband are precious people and will make you and your little dogs feel right at home. She even has has bikes you can use to explore the island.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Week following Xmas???

Thankyou RustyKat! Glad to hear we can wine and dine! YAY!

Planned on Pickled Pelican for sure, as well as Tony's chowder (to see if it's as good as mine..ha!). Thinking we'd try Annie's for Bfast, and Big Deck for libations/music? Been to either?

I was torn between Jigger John's Condo (9D) at Fenimore Mill and the Faraway, only because the only room left at Faraway was Capt. Qrts with very little space/not even a sofa .

The condo with it's fabulous views looked like the better choice EXCEPT the FOUR flights of stairs! YIKES! So cramped or not guess we will stick with Faraway...glad you gave it a thumbs up!

Hope end of month is mild! Love to boat around the islands!

Thanks!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Week following Xmas???

OOPS...reading challenged! Just saw you already recommended Big Deck..great! Thanks!

Tampa
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Week following Xmas???

You will love the Faraway Inn and even thoiugh the insiude space is limited there are lots of little places to sit outside and enjoy the surroundings. Fenmore is nice but for us we like staying closer to the town and Dock Street.

Oh and I did forget to mention Ken's Keyside Diner for breakfast, you must try them, very good. They make an almond crusted french toast that is to die for. Tell them the "CraB Crew" sent you and they will give you excellant service.

The Island Room is another great choice for dinner, its in the Cedar Cove Yacht Club near the City Park, very good meals and at a good price.

We're going for the lighted boat parade next saturday...cant wait!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Week following Xmas???

Thanks Again for the recommendations!

My friend who's meeting me there is a Keller Williams realtor from Dunedin. It's her first time there as well.

After we leave there, I get to do the Tampa/area tour !

I'm from the Atlantic side (Ga) so looking forward to the Gulf side!

We have a Xmas lighted boat parade here also (Savannah/Tybee)!

Have fun!

And any other travel pointers happily accepted!

LadyDi

Tampa
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Week following Xmas???

If you are coming our way I would HIGHLY recommend forgoing the St. Pete/Clearwater beaches and go straight to Anna Maria Island. It is a little over an hour south of Tampa and you will fall in love. Like Cedar Key, it is Old Florida but in a more beachy way. Check it out on this site, yu really shouldnt miss it.

By the way, I love Savannah, when my mom was alive we would vacation there at least once a year. We loved staying at the Ole Harbour Inn on the Riverwalk and liked eating at the Pink House. Of course I loved Wet Willeys! I also like Tybee, another laid back place!

Hope you have a great time in Cedar Key.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Week following Xmas???

Thanks RKat!

I will be visiting friends in Dunedin for a week or so...Honeymoon Island is the beach where they go I think.

After I leave there I plan to take my time & mosey/explore my way along the gulf side then across & down to my friend's place in SugarLoaf Key.

Then back up to Silver River St Park and ride (horseback) thru the park, etc.

I'll definitely check out Anna Maria while in Dunedin with my friends. Thanks for the tip!

Funny...I worked (as manager/server) for years for the Pink House owners.(Garibaldis)

Thanks Again! LadyDi

Eatonton
Level Contributor
86 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Week following Xmas???

Actually, Jigger is my neighbor and it's 3 flights of stairs, not 4, but yeah, they're a bit intense. But I keep telling myself that they burn off the calories from the crab bisque...

We were pleasantly surprised at the breakfasts from Rusty Rim - upstairs from Coconuts. Excellent food.

I'd also recommend Black Dog Bar and Tables for beers/wine and usually some really good music. That's our favorite hangout. We had a good meal at Steamers this last visit too. If you have any cooking facilities at Faraway - pick up a bag of clams at Southern Cross and make some steamed clams yourself. All you need are some herbs, an onion, garlic, some butter and a bit of white wine. Email me for a recipe if you like!

Cindy

cindy@visitcedarkey.com

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Week following Xmas???

Thanks Cindy for the tips! We will definitely be eating our way around the island!

"My" island has almost NO good eateries so it will be a treat. Be nice to go to the outside places if the dogs are with me too!

Had to nix Jigger John's 'cause an elderly friend is joining us for one nite and cannot do stairs at all. Next time.

I LOVE clams! Have a friend who raises them down in Sapelo Sound, Ga. Always been a "argument" on who's clams/shrimp are better tasting...Ga Atlantics' or Gulfs'...heh! I love both!

Thanks! LD

Eatonton
Level Contributor
86 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Week following Xmas???

Hey LD - how was your trip?! I always love to hear back. And tell me about Sapelo - I'm hoping to make another visit there in the not too distant future!

Cindy

cindy@visitcedarkey.com

Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key
Recent Conversations