We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th trip

Hondo,Tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th trip

My husband & I along with another couple have rented a cottage in Cedar Key. As this will be our first trip to Cedar Key, we would appreciate any suggestions as to restaurants, things to see, or events taking place during the holiday weekend. We are looking forward to our stay in this small, quiet, and untouristy part of the Florida coast.

Thanks for your input.

Cedar Key
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th trip

Hit Black Dog Bar & Tables for sure. Wine bar, cigar bar, excellent atmosphere.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th trip

As you probably know from your research, Cedar Key is a laid back town with a unique vibe. It's a quiet little island, but you can still find things to do.

My favorite restaurants are "Tony's" - great spot for lunch. Fantastic grouper sandwich and out of this world chowder! Island Room - incredible brunch with crab Eggs Benedict. Island Hotel for dinner - amazing crab bisque. They have a fun bar to have a drink beforehand and sometimes have live music. Rusty Rim does a nice lunch or breakfast too and they have a beautiful view of the water.

Other things to do....

...rent a golf cart or bike and check out the back streets and get off the beaten path.

...Take a boat tour on Island Hopper to check out the surrounding islands.

...don't miss the sunset on the dock at Coconuts. Order a cocktail and relax while watching the water.

...pick up an inexpensive fishing pole and bait at the hardware store (or bring your own) and try your luck down at the city pier, or just wander along the pier and watch others. There are plenty of pelicans to spot as they're hanging out waiting for a treat.

...rent a kayak and paddle around the back marsh and spot some birds.

...buy some locally caught seafood and prepare dinner in your cottage one night.

...walk along the sand spit (ask the locals) at low tide to find some sand dollars.

...browse the shops and see some of the works of the local artists.

...visit the historical museum (it's small and doesn't take long) for some background history on Cedar Key. It is one of the oldest ports in Florida!

Cedar Key also has a decent size fireworks display for such a small town. They draw in crowds from local surrounding towns. It's fun to watch them over the water. I'm not sure exactly where you're staying, but if you're not on the water, just take a blanket and head down to the waterfront. You'll see people setting up along the shoreline with blankets, camping chairs, snacks. etc. to watch the show after sunset.

Have fun!

Hondo,Tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th trip

Thank you so much for the information. It sounds like our kind of place.

I just love Trip Advisor . It is a wealth of information.

Thanks again

Linda

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th trip

Hi, Linda, CLJ026 did an excellent job of filling you in. I would like to add that Tony's Seafood Clam Chowder is indeed the best - has won many awards, don't leave without trying it. The Faraway Inn is one of my fave places to stay while I go there because they have free use of bikes, canoes, kayaks. There are kitchenettes or not, have charcoal grills right outside to use, including an herb garden to pick fresh herbs, how awesome is that? And the rates are $100 less a night than the Cedar Key B&B right across the road. My favorite place to watch the sunset - in the Key West fashion of the Sunset celebration at Mallory Square - is on the pier and deck of the old Table Restaurant, called Coconuts now, or the Rusty Rim - something like that. You can get cocktails while watching some of the most beautiful sunsets anywhere. Skies tend to have a lot of orange colors, if you're lucky. We have had plenty of good getaways to Cedar Key, a lot of the entertainment tends to include drinking, but we are usually walking, so stay out of trouble that way - that's a good thing. Sometimes I've been there where there are so few people, it seems as though there are more cops than people. A cop passed my niece and I maybe ten times, staring us down, maybe he wanted to date? Ha, what a joke - heard his name was Bubba - not sure if that's true or was another joke! That was before a big shakedown in the town with some firings and such. Now, it seems as though it's even more mellow - I love it. It's an easy walk of the historical buildings, you can buy a little booklet which details each historical building for a pittance from the historical museum located just across SR-25 from Tony's. Quite interesting and educational. Enjoy your stay, I have to go there tomorrow for business, so will enjoy some chowder for lunch! Lucky me!

atlantic beach
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th trip

The posts above hit it on the head. I would like to add that on July 4th Cedar Key has their "Clamerica" celebration at city park. It celebrates Independence Day as well as the pride they take in clam farming. They bring the clams in right off the leases and steam them... lots of other good food as well. There is live music, games for the kids, even a "mullet chunking" contest. We have been the last 4 years and would not miss it.

Eatonton
Level Contributor
86 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th trip

Be sure to check out Black Dog Bar and Tables! We love to just hang out and watch the birds and boats go by. We had a great breakfast at Rusty Rim and it's a terrific view! Hope you have a fabulous VisitCedarKey!

Cindy

7. Re: July 4th trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key
Recent Conversations