We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

The annual Cedar Key Seafood Festival is coming up next weekend, October 18th and 19th.

All the crabs will be crawling down Dock Street again this year and will be trying for First Place AGAIN in the Parade on Saturday at 11:00 am. This year there will be a "special" guest with the Crab Crew. We will be throwing out tons of beads and candy.

You can see what I mean at www.crabcrew.com there are pictures of last years fun and craziness.

It really is a lot of fun, great seafood, music and local flair. Cedar Key is a wonderful, laid back island. Hope to some of you there.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Tony's Seafood Restaurant
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Seafood, Soups
Steamers Clam Bar & Grill
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Bar, Seafood
Carlin's Steak House & Paddock Pub
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Steakhouse, Bar
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

bump

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

We're looking forward to all of the festivities! Your 'float' last year was great, and all of your crazy crab hats :) Always entertaining!

I'm looking forward to seeing the new dock, haven't been there since they've finished it.

Fresh oysters, crabs and clams are on the top of my list for next weekend. We'll be there to watch the parade, we'll be the ones with the 100 lb. brown poodle (well, depending on the weather, we may leave him at the house if it's too hot out that morning) :)

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

Jenni - That's great, I'll be looking for you and your Poodle! We have a bigger "float" this year and a new Crab Guest! We cant wait, it's so much fun, we have members from Colorado, Tennessee, New York and all over Florida that fly in for it.

I havent seen the new Dock either but I have spoken to several locals and they say it is nice but hard to get use to for them because it is so different. I guess the lights at night are really bright too.

The Captains Table is opened back up this year, it was closed last year. We will all be there at sunset for our celebrate "crab claw shot".

I'm going for the clams, they are always so good. I also like the fried oysters and corn on the cob.

We love Cedar key, just the small towm feeling. Did you know that last year there were only 12 graduating students from the class of 2007 and they had all gone to school together since kindergarden. That's a small towm!

I am hoping for cooler weather, it is usually so hot.

Please give a shout out to "Natalie" during the parade and I'll make sure you get lots of beads, I'll save you one of our special crab beads that the crew wears.

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

I thought we were going to get the cold front for the whole weekend, but looks like it'll be getting there on Sunday. Still, the rest of the weekend's forecast sounds nice - no rain!

Wow - looking forward to seeing you and your Crab Crew. :)

We're heading over tomorrow morning (we're on FL's east coast, so it's about a 2.5 hour drive straight west). I'm looking forward to it all! We're going to take the kayaks out and I've got a list of places we've got to eat at and things to eat - clams oh yes, and smoked mullet dip, and that salsa, and chowder! Yum!

What else do you and your crew do while you're there? We may take a ride over to see the lighthouse on Seahorse Key, I haven't done that yet.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

Hey Jenni, yes, I looked at the weather and we were definately looking for a cold front since we will be in the parade but it doesnt look like that is going to happen but it is suppose to be cooler in the evenings.

You will see us crabs crawling around Dock Street, we are leaving Tampa tomorrow am and should be in Cear Key around 2:30. We are going to try and stop at the winery first!

We all will be at the Captain's Table, on the deck for Sunset tomorrow night. If we arent too scary for you, come say Hi. I'm the redheaded queen crab.

There will about 16 of us side winding around.

Have a great time and remember, I have a crab bead for you!

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

Oh and we are going to try and go to the Lighthouse this year, there are trips available at the Public Marina, looks like it might be a fun thing to do if the weather is good. We rented a pontoon boat one year and went to one of the islands where they use to make pencils but the water was so rough we couldnt stay out in it very long.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

Ohh, Cedar Key sunsets- always beautiful! We get the sunrises over here, but who wants to wake up that early ;)

We'll try to make it out to meet you all tomorrow night. If not, we'll see you Saturday at the parade! I just uploaded a pic of me and our poodle Rufus, so if you see us around town make sure to say hi too. I'll be yelling out for that crab bead Sat.!

We went over to that pencil factory island too - there was a cemetery there too. Nice little boat ride. Seems like a lot of cemeteries in that area - spooky! My aunt's house is near the other cemetery on the main island. They just finished (well, just as in last year) a nice walkway near that cemetery on Gulf. Blvd. We like to take the pup for walks around there.

See you this weekend!

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
CKey, FL
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

Can't wait for you all to come on over. I do hope you get a chance to check out the lighthouse on Seahorse, too, as it's not open year-round.

Piles of people are already in town, which is a delightful surprise given the current state of the economy.

Oh, think a graduating class of 12 is small? My husband is one of four who graduated in 1988.

Enjoy CK. We hope to get to Tampa one year for the Gasparilla Parade. The St. Patty's parade in Ybor is always a lot of fun, tho I don't remember the "Crabs" in all the "Crewes"!

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

We are BACK

Jenni - Where were you?

We won Firt place in the parade again, had a great time!

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cedar Key Seafood Festival Next Weekend - Crabs - Crabs -

Congratulations! Once we finally made it downtown, we did see some signs of the crab float - can't remember if we saw a truck or a golf cart with crab decor :)

We actually slept in and didn't make it out to the parade - this is coming from a person who usually calls 'sleeps in' in the weekends waking up at 8am. No, we got up around 10am and it was raining, so we had breakfast and stayed at the house until about 1pm then went down for the festivities. And it rained some more. Not too bad, enough to keep the temps down which was nice. Saw some neat things at the booths - preserved and mounted crabs and lobsters, moving flamingo and egret lawn ornaments, nice boxes made of cedar and of course all the tastings! We had a tasting of Tony's chowder, which we already knew was delish - and got a bowl to go. We also got a plate of fresh raw oysters and 50 clams to go and had to search the city for smoked mullet and dip. We got some salsa from Fishbones, but they didn't have time to make fish dip. Finally found out about Brekmans or someplace that starts with a B on SR24 just before the gas station in town and they had both smoked mullet and the dip. Yum! And that was dinner Sat. I had sat the smoked mullet on my lap for the ride home (it was in a brown bag), but once we got back, I noticed fish oils all over my lap - boy, our pup sure liked me when he saw me :)

I had wanted some fritters and corn, but the lines were soo long! Did you see all of the tour buses in town? I think I counted 12! We stayed at the house most of the weekend and checked out the museum and the walking areas. We didn't even make it over the little bridge to Dock Street. Did you check out the new ice cream place? There's always next trip!

Oh, we had stopped at Robinson's Seafood on the way in and picked up some whole sheepshead for about $3/lb and some other items for dinner Friday night - the fish was delish! The fish dip, good, but not very much fish in it (Brekmans or whatever that place is has better dip).

The music was good, food was good, island was good - we'll go back in a few months again for sure.

We'll have the rest of the clams and dip for dinner tonight...

Mentioned in this post
1,527 Reviews
Cedar Key, FL
Robinson's Seafood
Robinson's Seafood
221 Reviews
Cedar Key, FL
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key
Recent Conversations