We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mystic Seaport and town

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Mystic Seaport and town

I am from Amsterdam and a big fan of everything nautical. Mystic has been on my wish list for many years but when i do come over then usually to Washington DC. I kept one day free this time March 4th and checked for options to go once again. It wold be a crazy long day but I do think i might do it anyway:

Leaving DC 3:15 am

Arriving Mystic 9:41 am

on Amtrak 165 Northeast Regional

Return i would need to make sure i catch the 4:35 pm to be back at Union station in DC at 11:30 pm.

Now the big question is will it be worth it of course, Essentially that leaves me about 6 hours. Is that enough for the museum? I know i know 14 hours train for 6 hours museum....but i just otherwise never get there.

10 replies to this topic
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

I feel that six hours would be enough to tour Mystic Seaport. It is about one mile from the train station to the Seaport. I assume that there are taxis there, otherwise figure on a 20 minute walk each way. Unfortunately you will not have time to see downtown Mystic and its bascule drawbridge.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

Thank you, that seems quite alright. I do think i walk faster then 20 minutes :-)

Edited: 06 February 2018, 14:54
RI
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

I think you will feel like you 've had enough time to get a good feel for Mystic Seaport. Because of the time of year, they won't yet be doing many of the grand demonstrations such a sail-setting or whaleboat rowing but you will also have much of the museum all to yourself. The walk from the train station is very pleasant but if you are trying to maximize your time, don't count on a taxi. Uber or Lyft are a much better bet.

RI
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

Oh, there's a great little cafe and coffee shop called Mystic Depot Roasters in the Mystic train station. The food is better and cheaper than any of the quick options at Mystic Seaport so you may want to stop in there and pick something up when you arrive.

http://www.mysticdepotroasters.com/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

Thank you John

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

Hi guys, need the forum’s help again! We are taking a long weekend for Presidents’ Day and would love to do some photography close to out trip between N.Y. and Springfield, MA. My initial inclination is to visit Mystic. Any other picturesque little towns that you can suggest? It is not the prettiest time of the year, but we take any opportunity to get out of the city.

Many Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

Sorry, our trip is between between N.Y. and Deerfield, MA.

Edited: 12 February 2018, 04:33
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

If it is good weather, it would be worth it though it is slightly out of your way. Between a stop at the Aquarium if of interest, the Seaport Museum and lots of restaurants to choose from, you could spend the whole day there. I would also recommend stopping at the Nautilus Museum (submarine) in Groton.

Mashantucket...
Level Contributor
65 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

Harkness Park has some beautiful views of the water. Stonington is also very picturesque, particularly down by the water.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
81 posts
669 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mystic Seaport and town

ctvisit.com/articles/great-drives-along-conn…

Reply to: Mystic Seaport and town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted