We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vail vs Beaver Creek.

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vail vs Beaver Creek.

We are planning a skiing trip to Vail or Beaver Creek next year. We are coming from Australia without our kids for 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me the main differences between these two villages? Does one have better skiing? Also since we are having an adults only trip which would be more suitable? Thanking you in advance for any advice.

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

First off.....you picked a great area to spend 2 weeks.....I am extremely jealous......I go out every year for a few days....but 2 weeks sounds incredible.

In my opinion, I would stay at Vail in either Vail Village or Lionshead....I prefer Lionshead because of its location on the mountain.........but if you are coming without kids and want nightlife, then Vail Village may be for you. Either location at Vail, you can take the free bus shuttle and be in either village in a matter of minutes.....the bus system is great.....do not rent a car. The shear size of Vail and diversity of terrain make Vail an extraordinary resort.......on the mountain....and apres ski off the mountain.

On the flip side of the coin, Beaver Creek is also a world class resort.....just not as big.....but known for its luxury accomodations, service and pampering of guests......not so much for night life.......it is more family like.

What I have done on my trips to that area......is stay at Vail in Lionshead Village (Lion Square Lodge, The Antlers) and ski Vail for the majority of the time.....but I always make sure I take a trip over to Beaver Creek for a day to check out their awesome terrain as well.........

Since your staying 2 weeks....you will have lots of options......take a couple trips over to BC.........but one thing is for sure.....you will have a sweet trip.

Hope that helps.

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

I think it depends on you and what your used to. Beaver Creek and Vail, I find, are very "overpriced and snotty". Sorry, but this how it goes. Breckenridge, is low key, much more desirable and informal. Again, it is how you are. Nothing is more annoying than sleeping in Vail with the noise of Interstate 70 and paying double the price.

I find Breckenrige so very beautiful. Surrounded by majestic peaks, all levels of skiing and the atmosphere of a small western town. Try it!

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

Thanks.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
1,041 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

All the resorts are expensive...if you can afford to be at Vail then don't miss it. It's by far the best area probably in North America. Take a day trip over to Beaver Creek it's nice for a day or two. I've been skiing all these areas for almost 40 years and I still think you can't go wrong at any of them. Keystone is also a wonderful area and a bit less expensive if cost is an issue. Another place if cost is a primary concern is Winter Park. As far as the snotty factor goes. You can find snotty people anywhere. It's an upscale environment and sometimes there can be an attitude. It's never been a consideration when we plan our trips, I guess it's just not an issue for us.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

well said PlanetR. In the end it's really about the skiing and Vail is the best of the lot. Not to be missed if you can swing it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

I do not find Vail or Beaver Creek "snotty", in fact I think the folk that work there are most excellent. And while they are high-end resorts, one feels welcomed everywhere.

I do like Breckenridge as well, but the skiing just isnt as good....IMO

8. Re: Vail vs Beaver Creek.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2011, 09:50