We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vail - Please help!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Vail - Please help!

Hi! We are headed to Vail for 5 days at the end of July. We have never been to Colorado in the summer before and are excited to enjoy what it has to offer. (We do ski in Aspen in March every other year). I would greatly appreciate your help in answering the following:

Does anyone have any experience on which hotel would be best: Talisa or Westin Riverfront?

We are a family of 3 (me, my husband, and almost 7 year old son). We plan on enjoying what Vail has to offer in the summer (Epic Adventure Pass, riding bikes, swimming, and possibly some fishing/fly fishing). Can you recommend any specific companies for fly fishing? Is the Epic Adventure extremely crowded/lines very long? I doubt we will do any whitewater rafting, but if anyone has experience in doing this with a 7 year old, I'll gladly take it.

Thanks again for your help!

8 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Vail - Please help!

They are both great. The Westin is in Avon not Vail. I love the setting at Talisa a bit removed, more serene along the river.

You could raft with your child, check out Glenwood Springs for a day trip https://www.coloradowhitewaterrafting.com/

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
2. Re: Vail - Please help!

Westin is in Avon. Both are on the creek/river. Both are great properties. If you want to be close to vail proper Talisa is closer but still a bit removed from the village.

There are float trips on the upper Colorado near state bridge and white water in glenwood canyon. Outfitters like timberline tours and Lakota guides will pick you up and take you there from your hotel,

Gorsuch, Orvis and Eagle River outfitters are good fishing guides here on the Eagle river and other points.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Vail - Please help!

Thank you!

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Vail - Please help!

I think you would be happier staying some where in Vail Village. It would be more convenient because you can walk to a lot of parks, restaurants, shops, Betty Ford Alpine Garden, paths along the creek etc. If you get something with a kitchen you could save some $ on meals. There are lots of condos. Some good hotels are : Sonnenalp, Sebastin, Tivoli are high end. Sitzmark, is in a really good location. The Austria Haus and Manor Vail have condos with kitchens. The Westin and Talisa are nice but IMO The other options would be way more convenient as they are all right in Vail.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Vail - Please help!

I also think that staying in the Village or Lionshead would be more fun and convenient than the Talisa. The Westin is nice and has a great pool but it's at the base of Beaver Creek in Avon, about 15 minutes to Vail and 10 up to Beaver Creek. Both are very nice hotels but if you are going to spend that much money I would stay where the action is.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Vail - Please help!

We are opting to stay in a more serene location; trying to avoid staying at Vail Village and Lionshead Village. Thanks!

Edited: 07 June 2018, 08:13
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Vail - Please help!

I’d go with Talisa. I have always enjoyed it. Try for a room by the river.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Vail - Please help!

Thank you!

Reply to: Vail - Please help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted