We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightlife/smoking

Darwin, Australia
14 posts
nightlife/smoking

Travelling to Telluride in March from Australia.

What can we expect from the nightlife? We will be there monday to friday. Is all nightlife based around town?

Also what are the smoking laws? We like to enjoy the occasional cigarette whilst drinking. Any bars that have smoking patios or outdoor areas? What about the balconies of condos/hotels/lodges?

And finally the cannabis laws. What are the options for tourists wanting to smoke?

Thanks in advance

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
462 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: nightlife/smoking

Town is compact and the nightlife is mainly on Main St. or one block from it. There are over 30 liquor licenses on Main St. alone. Not all of them are bars though.

Smoking cigarettes is banned in all indoor public places and also within 35 feet outside of any bar entrance.

Tourists can buy and smoke weed legally, just like locals. There are six pot shops spread around town. You still have to be discrete and should never smoke weed in public.

Edited: 23 November 2015, 11:21
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: nightlife/smoking

Buying your weed in a non-ski town will save you money.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,602 posts
269 reviews
3. Re: nightlife/smoking

You can get a DWI ticket for driving under the influence so make sure you don't smoke/use edibles and then drive. Also it is illegal to use it on federal lands and the ski area is all federal land so don't take it onto the ski slopes.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,304 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: nightlife/smoking

Telluride is small ~ if you are expecting big night clubs or dance club type places, you won't find them here.

Darwin, Australia
14 posts
5. Re: nightlife/smoking

Thanks for the replies. I understand Telluride is small and I am not expecting any clubs. I was looking for more of a push on what places are good or not so good.

I guess the last thing I'd like help with is exactly where tourists can smoke? I'm well aware of where we cant smoke, but where can we? Are there any designated areas? What are the accommodations general stance?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,304 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: nightlife/smoking

You can't smoke much of anywhere other than a private residence. Get edibles instead, eliminates the problem. DO follow the guidelines on edibles, it can take a while to feel them. If you eat more too quickly, you end up trashed when they hit.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: nightlife/smoking

I think the OP also wanted tobacco regulations.

"We like to enjoy the occasional cigarette whilst drinking. Any bars that have smoking patios or outdoor areas? What about the balconies of condos/hotels/lodges?"

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,602 posts
269 reviews
8. Re: nightlife/smoking

I think you will need to contact the hotel/condo/lodge to see what their policy is concerning smoking on their balconies. Some may allow it and others may not (especially if it is marijuana and in public view and/or the smoke will go into other units). The owners of units that allow smoking in non-smoking areas get hefty fines.

Colorado overall is very restrictive about public smoking and one often sees smokers in the alleys. One rarely sees folks walking with lit cigarettes.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: nightlife/smoking

It took me a week to get away from cigs and on to a e-cig. Buy a good refillable type because the convenience store e-cigs will disappoint. I quit smoking 5 or 6 times over the last 20 years but I`ll never experience that he*l again. I was skeptical but there is no looking back. You can use these in your room.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
197 reviews
10. Re: nightlife/smoking

Just so the OP understands, CO has some of the lowest smoking rates in the nation. Not surprisingly, Colorado also has some of the strictest smoking laws in the United States. It doesn't matter whether it's cigarettes, marijuana or incense, you cannot smoke in bars, restaurants, workplaces, or in almost any other area that is open to the public. Further, local fire codes prohibit smoking in many multi-unit buildings including most hotels. That is particularly true in small, affluent towns like Telluride where fire codes are strictly enforced. Given that secondhand smoke causes cancer and carelessly tossed cigarettes start forest fires that threaten homes every year in CO, you're going to find little sympathy for having to stand outside in the cold to smoke. You might also get an earful for trying to smoke anything on a chairlift or in a lift line.

That said, and with regard to cannabis, unless you're going through the hassle of trying to smoke it as some sort of a throwback to bygone days, just stick with edibles.