We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Village the best option for us?

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
164 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Village the best option for us?

Sorry in advance for another town vs. village question, but I just wanted a quick sanity check for my particular situation.

I've always wanted to ski in Telluride and the town of Telluride was certainly one of the draws for me. My wife and I love areas like that. However, situations have changed a bit over the last few years and we'll be in town the week before President's Day with our 1.5 year old son.

Additionally, my wife is a skier now but she's more in the beginner/intermediate range. Groomers only. She can make it down the blues at Snowbasin and loves the greens at Sun Valley, though steep stuff she still takes very slowly/cautiously.

I see that there are a few ski-in/ski-out spots down in town but it looks like the terrain to get down to there is pretty steep, especially compared to what is down around Mountain Village. How steep/difficult are those runs down to the town? Are they usually groomed?

It also looks like the child care building is up in Mountain Village, and it would be tough to lug all our gear and the little guy and all his stuff up the gondola to get up there in one trip. I think we can maybe find workarounds for that (babysitter instead of daycare maybe).

We're not interested in partying/late night of course since we'll have the little guy at night, though we probably will want to try some restaurants in town. As I understand that the gondola down there is pretty easy though and can actually add to the experience.

Edited: 03 November 2015, 03:22
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Village the best option for us?

If skiing is primary for you, it's hard to beat the creature comforts of staying in Mountain Village. It's all right there and super easy access to the base for your wife. It's also easy and romantic to take the free gondola down to town (actually up first then down) in the evening.

Have fun.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,104 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Village the best option for us?

The gondola takes you to the ski area in M Village. So it is easy to ride up the gondola and then stay on that side and ski the easy stuff and then just ride back down. Gondola has great views, runs 7am to midnight. Lots of baby stuff can be a drag, so if you think it is easier and you can find a good spot in MV, then go for it.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Village the best option for us?

You have "mountain village" written all over you. Go there.

Coal Creek, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Village the best option for us?

The Telluride Trail is an easy intermediate run on the Telluride side that traverses from near the top of the Gondola to the Telluride gondola station and Lift 7 in Telluride. It's always groomed and avoids having to take those wonderful steep runs on the Telluride side.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Village the best option for us?

The Gondola connects the two towns so you won't feel disconnected at all staying in Mountain Village. It's better suited for what you are looking for, especially with children - we have four kids and have skied Telluride for years- you will love it.

6. Re: Mountain Village the best option for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2016, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Telluride
Recent Conversations