We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan ski trip w/ kids (ages 2,4,6) - Telluride or elsewhere?

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Jan ski trip w/ kids (ages 2,4,6) - Telluride or elsewhere?

Planning a ski trip for the first or second week of January with our friends who will be visiting from overseas. We will have 4 kids between the 2 couples ages 2, 4, and 6. Some skiers, some boarders. So far, I'm loving the looks of Telluride. Since we have kids, we'll want to participate in some of the family activities (ice skating, tubing, ski lessons / day care), perhaps have a few family meals out as well as a well adult nights out. I anticipate we'll spend most of our time in our rental home, and T-ride seems to have nice upscale accommodations. I like that there is the option of a town. I think a ski town would be a fun thing for our overseas visitors. But Telluride isn't rated anywhere on the listings for family friendly resorts? So what gives? Should we go elsewhere? I looked at Beaver Creek and Aspen/Snowmass, and those seem extremely expensive. Keystone is geared towards families, but our kids are more daycare age / not completely running the show as far as activities or entertainment yet. Telluride for our group or elsewhere?

Mentioned in this post
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,077 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jan ski trip w/ kids (ages 2,4,6) - Telluride or elsewhere?

I haven't been there with kids, but would think it's a great place. You have choice of in town or Mountain Village. With kids, I would go MV for sure - just simpler access and you can get down to town easily on the gondola at night. Plenty to do. Diversity of terrain. Etc. It's a bit more complex to get to Telluride than other resorts. You'll have a good time.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,719 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jan ski trip w/ kids (ages 2,4,6) - Telluride or elsewhere?

While it can be a bit more complex to get to Telluride ~ that also equals much less crowded that resorts closer to Denver, where most people fly. Telluride is drop dead gorgeous. You really get 2 towns for one, Telluride and Mountain Village. The 2 are separate towns on opposite sides of the ski mountain, connected by the free gondola. Plenty of hotels and condos in both locations. There is plenty to do for kids, there is a good ski school (kids and adults, if needed) located on the Mountain Village side. Excellent restaurants in Telluride.

www.ridewithroudy.com

http://www.ahhaa.org great for kids

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,321 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jan ski trip w/ kids (ages 2,4,6) - Telluride or elsewhere?

I would think that in terms of price Telluride will be in the same range as Beaver Creek and Aspen.

Keystone is very family friendly, home to kidtopia, I think there are lots of things for the kiddos that age. keystoneresort.com/Activities/Kidtopia.aspx… But know that Keystone is a resort more than a town, though there are many full time residents. I also think they Beaver Creek as family friendly.

Keystone would be more affordable than any of the options you mention. Your $$ will go further in terms of "upscale" lodging. All of the places you mention offer the opportunity for a fantastic ski vacation!

Edited: 01 October 2015, 21:24
Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,227 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jan ski trip w/ kids (ages 2,4,6) - Telluride or elsewhere?

One consideration might be altitude.

Steamboat is 2000 feet lower than Telluride.

5. Re: Jan ski trip w/ kids (ages 2,4,6) - Telluride or elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2016, 10:46