My wife and I are going to be driving from Durango to Telluride in the second week of July. I've driven through the mountains several times (Trail Ridge Rd - Estes Park, Denver-Crested Butte via Monarch Pass, etc). Though I love the scenery, I'm a white-knuckled type of driver in the mountains and prefer the least tricky/tricky roads I can possibly find. It looks like there's only a couple ways into Telluride from Durango. I could use your help figuring out the easiest route.
Telluride's tourism website advises taking the following route:
1) Follow Route 160 from Durango to Mancos.
2) Turn right onto Route 184 towards Dolores.
3) Turn right onto Route 145, just south of Dolores.
4) Follow 145 into Telluride. About 3 miles out of town, Route 145 will T.
5) Turn right. Telluride is three more miles.
Travel time: 2.5 hours.