We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Denver to Telluride

Covington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Travel from Denver to Telluride

Is there a good town/place to stay along the route from Denver to Telluride in the summer? Silver mining town, something interesting and beautiful? Looking to drive a few hours and then spend the night, continuing on in the morning. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
1. Re: Travel from Denver to Telluride

Assuming you are taking 285 to 50 buena vista is on the route. Crested butte would about a 30 minute detour off.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,562 posts
178 reviews
2. Re: Travel from Denver to Telluride

What time are you departing Denver? That may affect your decision to some degree, as it is better--when possible-- to drive before dusk/dark due to the higher chance of wildlife on the roads. Also, are you spending any time in Denver or nearby before this drive? When possible, it is advised to sleep below about 8000' or lower to help acclimate to altitude. Thus, I might suggest Breckenridge (unless you need to drive further) if you had already spent a night or two acclimating, but somewhere a bit lower if this is your arrival night.

Coal Creek, Colorado
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Travel from Denver to Telluride

Just a comment, Missp. Breckenridge is at about 9,000 feet and it's only about an hour and a half from Denver. I agree with staying at Crested Butte - it's a mining town with a lot of character.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,562 posts
178 reviews
4. Re: Travel from Denver to Telluride

Yes, Envirogypsy, I see where my post may not have been worded clearly. I was requesting more information from the OP. Is this the day of arrival or will they have already spent some time in Denver, Boulder, etc.? If the arrival day, it would be recommended to spend the night at an intermediate elevation, below 8000' if possible, so Breckenridge would NOT be great if it is the arrival night. (Although many visitors do so will little or no ill effect.) And I am wondering the time of arrival & departure from Denver and how far the OP really wants to travel that day. Sometimes visitors seem to underestimate the time it takes to get the rental car and get across Denver and out of town. The OP needs to keep that in mind, plus keep in mind trying to avoid travel too close to dusk when deciding how far to drive.

Crested Butte fits the description, but may be further than the OP wants to drive.

Reply to: Travel from Denver to Telluride
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted