We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfalls viewable from the car?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Waterfalls viewable from the car?

My Mom is coming to visit and we're doing a roadtrip. Relevant part here, we're going Mesa Verde -> Telluride stopoff -> Ouray overnight -> silverthorne or similar -> Denver airport.

She is 70+, on crutches and has crap balance, so no "hikes" for us, but she can do short walks on pavement or easy trails with an extra hand. She wants to see waterfalls, and it's not actually that easy to search for waterfalls that can be viewed from the road / overlook vs. a hike in, short of a few "top" lists that include waterfalls all over the state.

I've read all sorts of discussions back and forth on Bridal Veil 2wd vs. 4wd vs Jeep, but can you see the falls from a distance w/o going up the rocky road, or is it obscured?

Are there other waterfalls nearby / on our route that can be viewed w/o a hike that come to mind?

This is going to be in early fall as well, so I know some falls will be lackluster this time of year...

Thanks for any intel, I have been through most of this route before, but I'm not used to being unable to hike.

Edited: 25 September 2018, 03:03
3 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,560 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: Waterfalls viewable from the car?

See reply #10 on this thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33667… I took my mom to see it and now that I have a bum knee, I view it from the parking area, too.

In Ouray, you should be able to see Cascade Falls (not much water last I saw, but still flowing) from several viewpoints in town and certainly can see Bear Creek Falls. She might want to try the Falls Trail at Box Canon Falls park...it is about a 500 ft. walk, mostly level. https://www.boxcanyonouray.com/ouray-scenery…

Would she like the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Natl Park? You can drive down to the river on the East Portal Road, and there are several viewpoints on the rim that are right by the road, such as the first one and the visitor center.

I'm trying to think of another falls you could view between Ouray and Denver....

Rifle Falls State Park is a little off your route but not far if you went through Grand Junction/Clifton or the more scenic route to Cedaredge and over Grand Mesa to connect to I-70, and your mom could easily manage the very short walk on pavement there.

There's a falls at the water wheel in Idaho Springs.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/lifestyle/d…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Waterfalls viewable from the car?

Awesome, thanks very much, this is super helpful! I did try to search but it's a weird topic, thanks!!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,510 posts
208 reviews
3. Re: Waterfalls viewable from the car?

Depending on what route you take to get back towards Denver, North Clear Creek Falls between Creede and Lake City can be seen from an overlook a short distance from where you park.

Reply to: Waterfalls viewable from the car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted