We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

Hello,

My family: husband and myself (athletic, 30-somethings) and two boys (8 & 10) are looking forward to our vacation in Telluride this July. We will be driving in on Sunday, through Santa Fe and Durango. Plan to stop in Durango for lunch and stock up on groceries before we continue to our VRBO in Telluride. We then have three full days (Mon-Wed) to enjoy Telluride. I'm looking for any suggestions of things we should do with our kids. I've done a lot of research online already, but thought I would ask in the forums too. On our idea list so far is tubing on the river (not sure where to get tubes), hiking (any specific trails recommended?), gondola to Mountain Village (any restaurants you recommend?), maybe biking along the river (is there somewhere to rent bikes for 8/10 year olds or should we bring our own?), and possibly a daytrip to Ouray (rent a jeep to go to Imogene Pass?), and of course some downtime just hanging out, exploring, fishing, relaxing. I know we can't do all of these things so what would you suggest?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

Most areas of the river in Telluride are quite shallow, I don't think tubing is an option. The water is also very cold. Ace Hardware sells tubes and some locations rent them. I would check the water temperature first and make sure they can tolerate it. When you get to town, all along main street you will see Telluride Style magazines in front of businesses. They are free and inside they will have trail maps inside. Bear Creek Trail leaves from the town park and is one of the easier trails. The Valley Floor trail follows the valley floor (who would have guessed??😉) and is pretty flat, easy for the kids. The Jud Wiebe Trail also leaves from town, but is more challenging.

Unless you are experienced off road drivers, I am not sure I would suggest renting a jeep to go to Ouray via Imogene Pass. It is the 2nd highest pass in Colorado and rated a 4 out of 5 in difficulty. The trail is very rutted, too narrow for 2 vehicles to pass in some areas, thus meaning one vehicle has to back up. You can take a jeep tour (there or elsewhere) with Telluride Outside. It takes about an hour to reach Ouray by the paved highway, it will take longer over the pass. Going by highway, Ridgway is between the 2 towns. The original John Wayne version of the movie True Grit was filmed there. If you watch the movie first, you will be able to pick out buildings and locations that were used. Dallas Divide is between Ridgway and Telluride ~ amazing, incredible long range mountain views!!

Mountain Village is a separate town, with many restaurants and hotels. To be honest, we usually eat in Telluride, so I am not that familiar with the restaurants in MV. The gondola ride only takes a few minutes, but has gorgeous views. In Telluride Brown Dog Pizza is a great lunch spot (they have more than pizza), Smuggler's is also a great lunch place. Depending on whether you want to get the boys fired up on sugar, the Sweet Life has all kinds of candies, milk shakes, ice cream, etc. as well as burgers. For more adult sweet treats try Telluride Truffle.

How about a horseback ride? www.ridewithroudy.com

Have you come across the Ah Haa School in your research? The kids may enjoy something there.

http://www.ahhaa.org/youth/

Edited: 05 April 2017, 19:26
Corsicana, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

I don't live in Telluride full time, but I've managed family vacation rental units there for 16 years...and my kids (now in college) grew up having a blast in Telluride. It's our home away from home. I recommend Bear Creek for a nice hike to a waterfall. I believe it's 2.1 miles. My thought on renting a jeep and going to Ouray is to do it with a guide unless you are prepared to navigate switchbacks and sometimes two-way traffic on them (which is crazy dangerous). My favorite guides are at Telluride Outside. We jeeped up to Imogene Pass (over 13,000 ft.) last July -- lots of snow still there even in July. Honestly, unless you are very experienced, I wouldn't do it. You can rent bikes in town at Boot Doctors/Paragon Sports on Colorado Avenue. You can fish in the river at Town Park. You can rent stand up paddleboards from Telluride Outside (and get tie downs from them) and head out to Trout Lake which is about 25 minutes out of Telluride (you'll pass it on your way up from Durango). It's gorgeous out there and there are a couple of places to picnic. Run down to Baked in Telluride for a picnic lunch before you go or make some sandwiches at your rental. Kid friendly places to eat are all over, but don't miss treats at Telluride Truffle (chocolates, and the Perfect Cookie). We love the new Taco Del Gnar (gnarly tacos) which might satisfy your Tex-Mex itch while away from Dallas (I'm near Corsicana). We also like Cocina de Luz (they have ice cream, too). Warning: their rice is different. I've grown to like it. Try Brown Dog Pizza for sure. Then there are smoothies and a small menu at The Phoenix Bean. If you want a nice dinner out, the Sheridan Chop House is always our first choice followed by Rustico (Italian), Cosmopolitan, Allred's (mid-mountain, only by gondola). We love The Butcher & The Baker, too. Be sure to look on the VisitTelluride website for fun things going on during your dates -- lots of free concerts, etc. By the way, the Sweet Life closed a couple of years ago (my comment on the comment above). Sad! My kids loved it! There's also a rock climbing wall (indoor) at Fuel Telluride, and there's a great hike along the river all the way out to the Valley Floor which is open space. Truly, you'll wish you had more time in these great outdoors. Be sure to go to Bridal Veil. You can also hike all over this area. Have a great time in Telluride!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

That is too bad. Shows you how much I go in there! I did not even notice they had closed.

Corsicana, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

My kids were so sad when it closed. It was a fun, family spot. Bummer! But during the summer, you can still get your sweet fix at Telluride Truffle (ice cream and chocolates) and Cocina de Luz (ice cream). Gosh, there are a couple of others but I'm not placing them right now.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

Thank y'all for all the advice!

6. Re: Itinerary Advice: July (with kids) Sun-Thurs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2018, 09:47