We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town?

Texas
Level Contributor
482 posts
12 reviews
Which town?

My husband and I are planning a road trip around the middle of September. Leaving from Denver, we will be making our way to Vegas, but will be stopping along the way. We've been to the upper part of Colorado many times, but never the lower. I've heard great things (about the views) about Telluride, Silverton and Ouray. We are not hikers, but do like to walk, visit local shops and restaurants. And our favorite thing is taking in the views.

Are these towns close to each other? Which town is the best one to visit? If we visit more than one town, which one is a good central town to stay in? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Which town?

There is no way to say what is "best". The whole area is just gorgeous. They are all old historic towns with magnificent scenery. Ouray would be between Telluride and Silverton, so if you stayed there, you could easily take a day trip to each one. Telluride is actually the largest and has 2 towns really ~ Telluride and Mountain Village. They are connected by the free gondola. Telluride is the old historic town with charm, Mountain Village was built in the late 1980's and early 90's as a "planned ski village". To me.... it has a cookie cutter look to it. Both towns have great views, restaurants, shops, etc.

Ouray is a bit smaller and has a little more rustic atmosphere. Fewer restaurants and shops, etc. They have a hot springs that is channeled into swimming pool type pools that many people really enjoy.

Silverton is the smallest of the towns. The historic narrow gauge railway runs between Silverton and Durango. The Million Dollar Highway is between Ouray and Silverton ~ incredible views. Ridgway is a very small town between Telluride and Ouray. The original John Wayne version of the movie True Grit was partially filmed there. If you watch the movie before going, you will recognize some locations and buildings. There is the True Grit Cafe there, very good food and it is loaded with John Wayne memorabilia. Between Ridgway and Telluride is Dallas Divide ~ a wonderful area of long range mountain views.

www.visttelluride.com

www.mountain-village.co.us

www.telluridemuseum.org

www.ridewithroudy.com

www.lastdollarsaloon.com

www.OurayColorado.com

www.SilvertonColorado.com

www.RidgwayColorado.com

www.durangotrain.com

If at all possible, I would visit all of them. Telluride and Ridgway are about 45 min apart. Ouray and Telluride are about an hour apart. Ouray to Silverton is probably 1.5 hour. Each town deserves at least one full day, more if you can manage it.

Edited: 25 March 2017, 03:00
Texas
Level Contributor
482 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Which town?

Thank you so much. This is great information.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Which town?

I would stay in either Telluride or Ouray.

We love Telluride.

Matt

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
142 reviews
4. Re: Which town?

Walk- Ouray has some nice walks and is lower elevation. Telluride has a great "Main St" and Bear Creek trail is not too bad. Silverton less so and you are at 9300'

Shop- Tride for quality and variety, Ouray and Silverton have fewer, smaller and souvenir shops

Dining- Tride by a lot IMO

Views- all are great for views

Ouray has hot springs. Silverton still feels like a mining town after the train leaves.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Which town?

Telluride has the San Miguel River Trail and the Valley Floor Trail that are basically flat. Then you could have a "hike" that is not all uphill one way and down the other.

6. Re: Which town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2018, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Telluride
Recent Conversations