We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

I am in the planning stage for a trip next January. We are looking a buying a 4by40 pass to ski both Winter Park and Steamboat. We will be flying in and out of Denver and renting a car.

Has anyone used this pass and have suggestions about logistics and ski rental? I hate to go thru the sizing and rental in 2 locations. Thought we would do Winter Park first then have an off day to drive to Steamboat.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

There are lots of rental places in Denver. Larson's Ski and Sport is my home town shop at I70 & Kipling. IDK if they have the best prices, its just convenient when I have someone who needs to rent and we don't want to do it at the ski area. That said, you have the inconvenience of transporting the gear. And if you have a problem, there's no way to get it fixed. I'm sure you can do two day rentals at both locations.

You may want to look at buying that pass soon. The e-mails I've been getting have prices going up in a week or two on the Rocky Mountain Super Pass Plus pass. That pass is called the Route 40 Four Pass now, by the way. Maybe the price won't change on it. I see its $199 right now. I had one of those two years ago (along with a Winter Park four pass) and bought it on the opening day at Steamboat for $199.

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,048 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

Maybe the price will stay @ $199. You can always call Guest Services and ask: 303.316.1564

On the website all it says is "Pass must be purchased 48 hours before first day of skiing" winterparkresort.com/tickets-and-passes/pass…

I'd rent equipment at the resort. If something were to happen to it you'd be stuck with it.

When family visits us they usually rent from Christy Sports. They have stores in Winter Park and Steamboat. If you rented in WP and took the skis to Steamboat I think they would help you out if you had any problems.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,891 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

I'll second Babalax on Christy Sports. Great rental company with very reasonable prices. Rent online in advance to save 20-25%. Rent in Winter Park and just take with you to Steamboat.

Have fun.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

On the website all it says is "must be purchased 48 hours before first day of skiing"

That could be my doing. That day I bought one was a HUGE hassle. I don't think Winter Park and Steamboat are as linked together as they might like. They did there best, but after spending a long time at the pass office one day, then having to go in the next morning and they gave me a day pass because they still couldn't make it work, I'm not surprised they need time to get it set up.

Renting at WP and taking the skis to Steamboat will save the hassle of renting again. But having to go through Winter Park to return them is not the most direct route from Steamboat to Denver.

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

@ Babalax "Pass must be purchased 48 hours before first day of skiing"

I think the wording on that particular webpage is misleading. When you get into the screen that you purchase the pass, it says: "Route 40 Four Pack must be purchased at least 48 hours prior to first day of lift access. "

So you can't wait till the last minute to purchase the pass. I can buy now and use later. I contacted the WP resort and they told me that the prices could go up in the future.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,891 posts
449 reviews
6. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

Most any discounting on lift tickets or ski rentals are based on advance purchase, designed to offer some pretty decent discounts (20-25% is not uncommon) for simply committing. The Route 40 Four Pack is just another version of that. Similarly, you'll pay less when buying your Vail resort lift tickets in advance. It's a great marketing move by the resorts and offers some very nice savings. Same with rental shops. In the case of the Route 40 Four Pack, it's well noted on the home page of the pass that it's a 48 hour advance purchase. A good deal though.

7. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 April 2016, 03:07
8. Re: Using the 4by40 pass for Winter Park and Steamboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs